Chapter 5

Harley

It had been a week since Joker escaped from Arkham asylum, even still, no one had figured out how he did it. With each day that past, she felt his absence more and more. The days seemed to blur together. She read the papers titled "Joker escapes Arkham asylum" and "Joker still at large, body count rises". With each day that passed something ate away at her, something she couldn't ignore. She missed him. 

Harley had just finished her lunch and was on her way to an appointment when Doctor Leland stopped her outside the break room. 

"Oh, Doctor Quinzel." the Doctor said as she caught up with her in the hallway.

 Good news. The Joker has been recaptured and returned to a more secure holding cell downstairs." Joan explained as she walked beside her.

Her heart leaped at her words.

"Looks like you will be able to continue your work with him, of course he will need time to recover first." she went on as Harley stopped walking.

"Recover?" Harleen said with a worried expression.

"Yes he has sustained quite a few injuries-" Dr.Leland started now watching Harley turn around.

"Doctor Quinzel, you have another appointment. Where do you think you're going?" Joan asked as she gestured down the hallway in the opposite direction.

"Sorry boss lady, I have somewhere to be" Harley apologized as she speed down the corridor.

"If you could be a lamb and reschedule it for later this evening, that'd be great." she spoke over her shoulder as she rounded to corner.

Harley walked down the corridor toward the maximum security holding cells. She was't exactly sure why he hadn't been held down here in the first place but it probably had something to with isolation, which was known to drive patients further into insanity. But she guessed they didn't care about his well being as much as the safety of everyone else in the asylum. When she reached the group of guards she showed them her ID card and the warden asked her a few questions before letting her pass though the massive door.  Once she was through the threshold, two heavily armed guards escorted her to the end of the small hallway and typed in a code on the keypad to the right of another large steel door. When the door opened it revealed a large room with a giant glass cell embedded in the far wall. 

She held her breath as she stepped up to the thick glass wall separating her from the prisoner inside. The Joker was laying unconscious on a cot to the left side of the cell. He was shirtless and had many bruises and wounds on his face and body. From what Harley could see he had stitches above his brow and a cast on his left arm. The guards were standing on either side of the door across the room and behind her. 

What did they do to him? 

With her back to the guards, she put her right hand on the thick glass.

"Puddin'" she whispered barely audible to her own ears. 

She would hurt whoever did this to him.

It was a while before she left him there. Part of her desperately wanted to break the glass and hold him until he was better. But she knew she could't do that. She knew that having any personal relationship with a patient was completely against the rules. But she didn't really care about the rules anymore.

***

 She had finished her work day and was now sitting in the break room reading the Gotham Times with the front page titled 'Clown Prince of Crime Seized at Gotham Bank'. Harley sighed and placed the paper down as she took a sip of her coffee.