Chapter 8

Joker

Electroshock. What a wonderful way of destroying a soul.

The clown prince of crime watched Quinzel's eyes roll up into their sockets and dribble pour from between her lips. He laughed uncontrollably as each hair on her arms and neck stood up on its own and began a freakish dance. The Joker watched Harleen Quinzel disappear as each cell in her body was assaulted with electricity.

Joker let the last remains of her tears get sopped up in her laboratory smock then exhaled a long, satisfied sigh. He set aside the paddles and took the set of street clothes from Frost.

"Good lookin' lady, boss" his aide-de-camp said.

"She really liked you" he added.

Joker slipped on the newly pressed shirt, buttoned it then checked himself out in the med-unit mirror.

"It would have never worked." Joker replied.

"She kept trying to fix me" he said adjusting his collar.

Frost walked over to the exam table and hoisted the unconscious Harleen Quinzel over his shoulder.

"Who said you were broken?" Frost asked not needing an answer.

Joker slipped on his diamond shaped 'J' pinky ring, then he gave himself a wicked smile in the mirror. Frost holstered his gun and the three of them left the med lab.

In another part of the building, the commander of Joker's paramilitary force stared down at the asylum's warden, lying on the floor, rolled up in an embarrassing fetal position, knowing full well that at any moment he was going to be killed. 

The commander put his gun to the warden's temple. "Bang!" he shouted causing the warden to whimper. He laughed as he gestured to his men that they were done. Then they all walked away, taking with them the inert form of Dr.Harleen Quinzel, leaving the warden alone and lost, whimpering on his office floor.

***

It had been almost twenty-four hours since the raid at Arkham. He ordered one of his goons to drop-off the unconscious Quinzel at her apartment. He would deal with her later, but right now he had business to attend to.

The Joker pulled up outside a club named 'The Grin and Bare It' in his custom made purple Lamborghini. Shortly after he got out of his car and threw his keys at a valet boy, a black SUV pulled up behind him and his entourage of thugs and criminals got out of the vehicle.

The club was in the hubbub of the 'Meatpacking District' in downtown Gotham city. On a Friday night, in the city that never sleeps, the street was packed with party-goers. 

Joker walked into the lavish nightclub not even giving the bouncer or the people in the long line a second glance. The club was over crowded with people and the dance music was blaring through the large speakers placed around the club. Heads started to turn as he strolled to the back of the building and people stumbled backwards to make a path for him as they walked through the crowd effortlessly. 

"Well look who it is?" a beer-bellied man shouted from across the bar. 

"Welcome home, boss" the man greeted as he walked up to the Joker.

"Monty" Joker grumbled. 

"It's been what? At least--" the Joker started.

"Too long! And no time to Talk about that- We gotta celebrate!" Monty injected already sweating as he eyed the gang of men behind him.