Locks

The next day, you wait for the doctor to arrive. After your talk with Bobby last night, your decision is clear. You're going to make a damn deal and save him. You can finally save someone. You relieve a little with this thought. You may not have saved your family but you can save Dean.

The door opens and you quickly wipe away the tears forming in your eyes. You look to see a different doctor coming in.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Mckenna. I examined Mr. Nobles' files..." He walks over Dean's bed and you get up closer to Dean. You didn't give Dean's real name of course. No matter how sad or devastated, you were able to lie and keep it cool in front of the doctors last night.

"What happened to Ms. Law?" You ask casually but your hand is on your special blade behind your back. You lean closer to Dean but your real aim is to get closer to the doctor. It is always good to be precautious. And then you have your weird feeling.

"She had to go earlier than her shift." He gets closer to Dean, his hands in his pockets.

"Doctor Mckenna?" You say but he only replies with a nod, he doesn't even turn his head. "Cristo." The moment you see all the black, you stab the demon in front of you. You watch as the lights go through his body and his eyes looking at you desperately and shocked.

You curse under your breath. There might be more and you are all alone. No matter how much you don't want to admit, you are weak since you didn't eat much in the last few days. You can't leave Dean alone, even for a short walk to the nearest crossroad.

You curse once again. You look at the body thinking about the human it belonged to and how you killed him cold-bloodedly. But now is not time to think about these kind of things. You are alone in the room and since you are weaker you felt the demon when you get really close to him. This is not a good sign.

Things never go as you plan them, which makes you curse once again since this is all you can do.

You don't know many hunters because you have been working alone this whole time. This lefts one person to call but before you reach your phone you are interrupted by a cold and indifferent voice right behind your back.

"What happened to him?"

"Thank god, Cas." You frown at how weird that sounded but you try not to mind it.

"Where were you? I tried... Praying but you never showed up, Cas." You sit down to your spot feeling safe. "Nevermind, I'm glad you're here." You see your reflection from the window. You have dark circles under your eyes, your h/c is a mess and your clothes are dirty. These last few 24 hours turned you into something weak and tired.

"I wanted to come. But we are in war." You don't even pay attention to his excuse.
"Yes, but we are friends. At least Dean is." You get up and sit next to him. "Can you heal him, Cas?" Your voice has hope in it.

He nods his head as "no".

You look at him for a moment and get up suddenly.
"Stay with him until I get back." You grab your bag and try to remember what it takes to make a deal with a crossroads demon.

"Don't do it." Cas' firm voice stops you for a short moment but then you continue grabbing your stuff. It's already night and you can't wait any longer.

"Cas, another demon can barge in in any second. It's almost midnight and there is no doctor in sight and we have a god damn dead body in the closet! No one checks his status, no one comes or goes, no one tries to make him better. I f**king can't just sit and hope for a miracle from your precious gone non-existent god!" You let out a huge breath after your breakdown.

"You will only have 10 years to spend with him." Castiel looks directly into your eyes with his crystal clear ones.

You let out a nervous chuckle. "Seriously the apocalypse is about to happen, there is like 10 or 9 seals left and you still believe this freaking world has 10 years?"

"He will not forgive you." Castiel is talking this long with you for the first time.

"I don't care." You say silently. He can hate you or he can be angry with you but needs to live. Not you. Him.

You try to open the door but it seems locked and doesn't move a single bit.
"What t..."

"I can't let you go." Castiel turns to door.

"Is this some kind of a joke?" You spit out. "Don't you want Dean to live? What the f*ck is wrong with you?"

"Dean wouldn't want to be saved like this. You know his father died for him too, you can't do the same thing."

You walk as fast and intimidating as you could and stand right in front of Cas.
"I will do everything to save him. Don't make it harder let me go."

He doesn't even flinch. "You can't add this burden to his shoulders. He is already suffering for his father and his brother." Castiel looks more serious than ever.

You try to open the door once again. "Castiel. Open the door. Let me go." You whisper. You feel desperate and it seems like this is how you feel for a really long time. Even though you hate to admit this time there is nothing you can do. You are failing at saving someone you love.

As you slowly fall on the floor, you beg in tears. "Castiel, I can't lose him. I can't lose the man I love. We don't have to tell him." You look at him. "He doesn't need to know. Or you can blame me if he asks. Just... Just..." You sniff and try to stop crying unsuccessfully. "Just let me make the deal tonight." He looks like he is in deep thougs. You can understand he is checking his options.

"There must be another way." He turns his eyes to Dean. "I made a promise."
You are confused. You get up trying to look strong and wiping your tears. "What promise are you talking about, Cas?"

"I'm not sure if I should tell you this but you seem determined and I don't have any other choice right now. Dean made me promise that I am going to keep you safe no matter what happens. I promised him to keep you alive."

These words crush your heart as Castiel speaks. "I can't let him down. This means I can't let you go."

You are still trying to let Castiel's words sink in. You can't get happy at the fact that Dean loves you more than anything and cares you more than himself. You can't feel happy because this is what you feared the most.

Now you feel worse knowing how hopeless you are.

The only person who loves you unconditionally is about to die.