six

chapter six; there's better ways to start the day than breakfest with the dead.

"Ginny. Ginny, wake up, you'll be late for classes."

"We don't have classes, Hermione," Ginny muttered groggily.

"Who's Hermione?"

Ginny sat up, realising the mistake she'd made, as all of yesterday's events came rushing back to her. However, when Ginny opened her eyes, and rubbed away the sleepiness, she was immensely surprised to discover that it was in fact Lily talking to her. Her face was calm and benign, and to be honest, Ginny was rather confused.

"L-Lily? Why are you being nice to me?"

"Who said I was being nice? I just told you to wake up," she laughed, "But Ginny, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for yesterday. I don't actually know for a fact that you kissed Potter, but he kissed you, and that's not your fault because you probably thought he was single. But for us - I want to turn over a new leaf. I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot."

"I'd be more than happy to do that," Ginny smiled.

"Good, I'm glad. And I'm sorry about Marlene, she's just trying to protect me. She'll get over it," Lily said.

"That's okay, thanks for stopping her last night," Ginny replied.

"Well it was kind of my fault in the first place. Anyway, I told the girls to go ahead, we'll be late for breakfast if you don't hurry," Lily rushed.

Ginny got changed into her robes which had been folded neatly at the foot of her bed. She didn't have any books, as it was her first day, so she headed empty handed out of the dormitory with Lily.

"Lily, I know we've just met, and just started fresh, but if you don't mind me asking - why don't you give Ja- er I mean Potter, another chance?"

"His had his fair share of chances, Ginny, and he continues to waste them. They say that mistakes are the best teacher, but Potter seems to have the incapability to learn."

Ginny didn't want to start another argument with Lily, so decided to leave the matter there. They walked toward the Great Hall, where they spotted the other seventh year Gryffindor girls. The pair walked simultaneously over them, and Lily took a seat next to Mary while Ginny sat next to the girl who comforted Lily last night - who's name she still did not yet know.

"So, Ginny - if that's even your name, te-" Marlene began.

"Marlene. Be quiet. Ginny and I have sorted things out," Lily interrupted.

"But-"

"No buts, Marlene. I know you're just trying to help, but what happens between Ginny and I is none of your business."

"Fine," Marlene huffed.

Ginny took up the latest issue of the Daily Prophet and began flipping through the pages. The date in the top right hand corner read Monday 26th September 1977. Ginny continued to read through until she found a rather alarming article.

"Er...guys," Ginny gulped, freezing with her fork half way to her mouth, "Who's Cassidy Everlarke?"

"Professor Everlarke?" Lily asked, absentmindedly stabbing her toast with her own fork, "She's our Muggle Studies professor, why?"

"Um...You might want to read this," Ginny said handing Lily the Daily Prophet.

Cassidy Everlarke, aged 47, was found dead in Hogsmead on Sunday evening, at around 7:00pm by a passer by. It is believed to be the work of dark witches or wizards unknown, but Minister Of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, insists that there is no reason for panic. He has urged everyone to stay calm and assures us that the all areas are being heavily fortified; the Ministry has everything under control.

"She...dead?" Marlene asked.

"Apparently so. Has she had her funeral yet? Because I want to go," Mary announced.

Lily looked down and read from the bottom of the prophet.

Ms Everlarke's funeral is to be held on Saturday October 1st, and is being organised by her sister, Martha Esdole, who was also a past Hogwarts student.

"So who'll be our teacher now?"

"Peyton, our teacher has just died, and you're asking who will replace her?" Marlene said. Ginny took note of the girls name; Peyton.

"Not at all," Peyton denied. "Ms Everlarke was one of my favourites, and whoever takes her place has huge boots to fill. She was probably the most popular teacher in the school, and I'm sure her funeral will be a big turn out. But I'm just saying, in these times...you never really know what kind of teacher you'll get."

"That's true," Lily agreed. "You never know who anyone is anymore. They could be one of You-Know-Who's followers."

"Yeah, like-"

"Marlene, shut up," Lily intervened.

"Well no matter who they are, or what they want, I know one thing for sure," Mary began.

"I smell speech," Marlene said, sticking her nose up in the air. "I really hate that smell."

"We've got a fight ahead of us. We all know that, and there's no way for us to possibly prevent it. But we've got each other to fight along side of. We're going to hold each other strong, and we're not going to let each other fail; in fact, we'll be the reason, that we don't fail, because we're fighting for each other. And that's something that he doesn't have. We don't know what's going to happen to us, or to anyone. It's ironic really, but uncertainty is all I know for sure that the future holds. But we'll all fight our hearts out, because there's no way in hell that we're going to let," she gulped, before courageously saying "-Voldemort, win this war."

"Good speech," Lily praised. "Mind if I use it for my head girl speech?"

Ginny could tell that she was on the verge of tears. But Lily wasn't the only one. Ginny's eyes were brimming with tears, but she tried her best to hold them back. The words 'uncertainty is all the future holds' were ringing around in her head. Because, despite how crazy she may sound if she said it aloud, she knew for sure what the future held.

And she knew these peoples futures. She knew the tragic ending that they all had. She looked down the table at the Marauders and back at Lily. She wanted to make the most of the time she had with them, but Ginny realised that there were probably better ways to start the day than breakfast with the dead. All it would do was make her grieve more, and the closer she got to them, the harder it would be to let go. But she was going to uncover all she could. She wanted to know what Lily and James were like. Not for herself, but for Harry. Because she knew that that was the least she could do.