nine

chapter nine; thank merlin, he finally found the baby!

"I'm really sorry about Marlene, Ginny," Lily said, as her, Mary and Ginny walked to lunch together. "I don't know what's gotten into her lately."

"Yeah," Mary nodded. "I mean, she doesn't usually overreact like that."

"That's okay, guys," Ginny shrugged. "You can't control what she does."

"But I can't believe Slughorn paired you with Potter!" Lily changed the subject. "I mean, all the girls got paired with girls, and all the boys were put with boys, and then Remus was put with Marls, and you were put with Potter! Why couldn't they swap you with one of the girl pairs?"

"Jealous, Lily?" Mary raised her eyebrows with a smirk on her face, and looked past Ginny, who was walking in the middle, to face Lily.

"Certainly not!" Lily protested. "More like pity for poor Ginny, who has to be paired up with that arrogant, egotistical—"

"Toe-rag," Mary finished for her, chuckling knowingly. "Who coincidentally also happens to be quite handsome, very kind and what else? Oh yeah, the guy that you're hopelessly in love with."

"I am not!"

"Then why did you agree to date him?" Mary smirked.

"Lily, it was my fault that he kissed me, there's no point in blaming him," Ginny said, looking sincerely at Lily.

"It's nice of you to take the fall for him, Ginny, but you don't have to. I told you, it's not your fault, because you couldn't have possibly known. But he most certainly did."

"No, really, I—," Ginny began to speak.

"Miss Granger, Professor Dumbledore would like you to see him in his office now," The sharp, crisp voice of Minerva McGonagall echoed through the great hall, interrupting Ginny from a very important sentence.

"Thank you, Professor," Ginny said, rushing out of the Great Hall, and calling over her shoulder. "I'll catch you guys later!"

Ginny sped through the halls, bumping into numerous students who were heading towards the Great Hall. Once she had finally reached Dumbledore's office, she stood in front of the massive Gargoyle, huffing and puffing. She waited a few seconds to regain her breathe, before speaking.

"Cockroach clusters."

The stone gargoyle moved aside and Ginny ascended the staircase, bolting to the top. She knocked politely, and upon entrance, took the same seat she had in her previous meeting.

"You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Yes, it's about Teddy."

"Teddy?" Ginny jumped forward in her seat. "You found him?"

"Well, not exactly. Professor McGonagall found him crawling around the transfiguration classroom," Dumbledore chuckled, as Teddy crawled out from under the desk. Ginny picked him up and cradled him in her arms. "The thing is, I don't see how you'll be able to take care of him as a student. I would recommend you get an adult to look after him."

"But then..." Ginny contemplated, "Will we have to tell the adult who he really is?"

"Not necessarily," Dumbledore gave a mere shrug. "But I do presume Arthur and Molly are your parents in the future? Perhaps we could ask them?"

"No, they have enough children to manage," Ginny laughed.

"Really? How many?"

"Seven, if you include me," Ginny replied, but then hesitated. "Well...six now."

"Because you're gone?" Dumbledore enquired.

"No," Ginny looked down at her feet. "My brother died."

"I'm sorry for your loss, Miss Weasley," Dumbledore nodded solemnly. "Is there anyone that you would prefer to take care of Teddy? Anyone you trust in the future?"

"Well...I suppose Andromeda could...but she'll have Tonks," Ginny whispered to herself, hoping that Dumbledore didn't hear her.

"May I suggest someone?" Dumbledore asked, continuing when Ginny nodded. "Professor McGonagall."

"Well, I suppose that might work..." Ginny said, still unsure.

"Who are his parents?" Dumbledore asked curiously.

"I don't think I should tell you, Professor," Ginny replied honestly. "I don't exactly know how a time glitch works, but I'm not sure that telling you the future would be the best idea."

"Very well, I understand." Dumbledore agreed. "Perhaps you could tell me one of his parents?"

"Uh, Remus Lupin," Ginny couldn't help but let a smile overtake her face when she said this.

"I see," Dumbledore's grin was evident also. "So, shall I inform Professor McGonagall of your story?"

"I think that would be okay, sir," Ginny gave in, but then looked at Teddy as a thought struck her. "But can I request that Remus gets to spend some time with him? Please? I can't tell you why, but it will be really important to Teddy in the future."

"As long as Mr Lupin doesn't find out who he is, I see no problem in doing so," Dumbledore agreed.

"Thank you, Professor," Ginny said excitedly, almost dropping Teddy from her grasp. "I can't tell you how grateful I am."

"I shall inform Minerva of what is going on." Dumbledore reached across his desk, and took Teddy from Ginny's arms. Teddy giggled profusely, and Dumbledore smiled at how much he did indeed resemble Remus.

"Sir..." Ginny asked. "What happens when I return to my time? That time turner brought the occupants of the room here...Will it take the occupants of the room back?"

"I do suggest that you visit the library if you are indeed curious, there may be a book on such situations. I personally find the library a wonderful place; full of knowledge," Dumbledore said.

"Much like yourself, Professor."

Dumbledore smiled humbly and continued, "If you wish to see me again, you know the password. Now, I must be off. I do believe I have rather a lot of explaining to do to Minerva."

"Thank you, sir," Ginny handed Teddy to him and skipped away, in a rather Luna Lovegood fashion.