Chapter 1 - Forbidden to wander

10 years later :

The birds overhead sang their beautiful song as Arena wandered through the woods. At ten, she loved to go into the woods as she felt like she was home.  Her Father didn't like it when she ventured in the woods, he said it wasn't safe for her. She rolled her eyes at his stupid rules about the woods. "You must stay within the farm where we can see you Arena", her father's deep voice whispered in her ear. She shook her head and frowned, kicking the dirt and leaves that crossed her path.

She kicked something hard that sent a dull throbing pain in her right toe. Her emerald green eyes that reflected the  green leaves above, glared down at the object. Her glare turned to curiosity as the object gleamed dully in the early afternoon light. It was slightly rusty but it was still in good condition. I can easily get that rust off she thought as she stared at it. How did it get here though, no young royals or kids of rich folk come into the woods. Why would they, they are snobby, bratty kids who adore attention, she thought.

Speaking of kids who adore attention,  the prince was no different. He was the same age as Arena but the only difference was that he didn't need to lift a finger. While Arena had to use her entire body to help her parents with the crops just to feed his stupid family. She sighed and bent down to pick up the object. It was a small  silver egg shaped chest. She stared at it wondering what it was for when an arrow wizzed pass her head. She gasped and pulled her own bow from her back. It had been the best present ever with Arena's name engraved on it.

She knocked one of her own arrows and glared around searching for the shooter. "You must  learn to look up girl, if you're an archer you should know that", a voice spoke from up in the trees. It's a boy she thought as she looked up in the direction of the voice.

"Well I am not an archer like Robin Hood, but a simple farmer girl", she hissed glaring at the trees.

"Could of fooled me", the voice said and a young hooded boy dropped right in front of Arena, making her gasp in shock. She drew back her bow ready to fire at the strange boy. His red hood covered most of his face but she could make out a pair of piercing stormy grey eyes. Eyes of someone unpredictable she thought as she glared at him.

"Who are you",  she hissed not lowering her bow.

"I come in peace", he said making a mocking gesture. Arena rolled her eyes at the boy.

"Could of fooled me", she said repeating his words as she nodded towards the arrow lodged in a tree near by.

"That was just a warning shot farmer's daughter, if that is what you are", the boy said smirking at Arena's steely expression.

"What do you mean by that and I will repeat my question, who are you "? she hissed.

" I mean I've never met a farmer girl who could use a bow", he said sounding impressed.

" Yeah well, it comes naturally", she muttered adjusting the bow. "And you didn't answer my second question", she said. The boy smirked and made a mocking bow.

" The name's Hunter, Hunter Brantley", smirked the boy. He held his own bow with ease in his tanned hands. Arena smirked and shook her head. Whoever this boy was, he was cocky.

"Really, your name backwards literally means proud hunter, honestly", she smirked shaking her head.  In a flash, Hunter had tackled her to the ground and was holding a knife to her throat. She just stared at the boy speechless.

"Do not make fun of my name farmer girl", he hissed. Up close she could make out more of his face. He was the same age as Arena. His stormy grey eyes pierced her own emerald green eyes. His red lips were turned down into a frown but she could still make out the dimple on the right side of his mouth.