Chapter 24

Marilyn scooted across the road making a beeline for the hospital. Once inside she tapped on the reception window, to get the attention of a young nurse, preoccupied with writing in a manila file.

"Pardon me honey, I'm looking for little Emily Jacob's room."

"Sorry no visitors, family only, no press." said the lady, looking up long enough to give Marilyn a distasteful look.

"Press eh, honey maybe you should at least ask who I am first, before judging on me."

"Are you family?" said the young lady sighing loudly and discarding her paperwork.

"I am that baby's grand mammy, who has driven near on two days straight to get her by her side! Does that qualify enough for you?"

"Please take a seat, I will send for someone to show you to her room," she said rolling her eyes.

Marilyn smiled sarcastically at the young woman and flounced over to the waiting area.

She picked up a discarded magazine on one of the brown plastic waiting room seats and huffed at it before sending it cascading back onto the chair.

Tapping her foot as she waited she wondered for the first time in a very long time about Victoria. What type of woman had she become? She didn't expected her to be still here in Albany after all this time and there was a baby?

The perfect blonde haired blue eyed angel she had fallen in love with so many times over the years was grown up and had her own baby.

It was hard to wrap her head around. She still saw Victoria as a small child running down her mother's wooden front steps crying out with excitement.

The moment she read Victoria's baby was in intensive care, Marilyn realized she left things too long. She hadn't meant it to be like this. She owed it to Victoria be here now in her hour of need, she just hoped that she wasn't too late.

A disgruntled looking Nurse tapped Marilyn on the shoulder making her jump.

"Are you here to visit Emily Jacobs?"

"Yes thank you, I am."

"Ok, she is only allowed supervised visitations for a short time, poor little thing needs lots of rest. She is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. No touching, no picking her up and no disturbing or waking her," the Nurse fired.

Marilyn nodded.

"Have you been sick recently?"

"No honey I am the picture of health"

"Good, any germs or bugs could kill her. Before you go in we need you to put on a gown, face mask and use the Anti-bacterial solution by the door please."

"Yes Nurse."

"Ok, if you're ready, follow me right this way," signaled the Nurse pointing towards a corridor. 

She turned on her heel and strode off without bothering to check if Marilyn had followed.

The Nurse took Marilyn through a maze of corridors and she wondered if she would ever find her way out again. Finally they reached a sunny looking children's ward with pictures of rainbows, clowns and puppies on the walls.

It may have looked colorful and happy in the children's ward, but she knew different. The sweet little children sleeping in their tiny beds she passed by were anything but happy. Some of them desperately clung to life and one of them was the grand baby didn't know she had.