Chapter 33

Ben come home early, his stomach flipped as he walked into his empty house. He couldn't help but feel guilty over what he was about to do. What kind of monster would leave his wife and two month old son for another woman right in the middle of a family crisis?

Maybe he should wait until things cooled down? No, he wasn't being fair to any of them if he waited, he had already left things too long.

He regretted not being honest with Demi right from the start, or at least the day she had gone into labour with Trevor. Instead he let things drag on, played happy families to please everyone but himself, he shouldn't have done that!

Demi would be home any minute, things wouldn't go smoothly when he told her. He wouldn't be spending the night at home, so Ben packed a duffel bag of clothes and foraged around on the top of his wardrobe for his small hand gun. He smiled, Demi didn't know he had it, she hated guns and violence. He made sure the guns safety had been clicked on and slipped it into the bottom of the bag and took everything out to his car and stashed it.

Once inside he took off his shoes and socks, made himself a scotch and promised himself he wouldn't argue or get angry at Demi. He would be calm, reasonable, and apologetic. This wasn't her fault, they hadn't been right for each other from the start, his heart belonged to someone else... His heart belonged to Sarah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demi pulled up in the driveway of her house, it was just on dark. The first thing she saw was Ben's car in the driveway and felt a surge of rage, causing her to grip her fingernails deep into the steering wheel.

Ben hadn't come home the night she had caught him masquerading around the hospital complex arm in arm with Victoria's blonde bimbo of a mother. It had been fermenting in the back of her mind all day at the courthouse, she hadn't even been able to contain her resentment when she took the stand.

Demi didn't mean to be so harsh on Victoria, in the beginning she had wanted to do anything she could to help her. They were friends, her, Ben, Victoria and Danny had been so happy, but things had changed a lot.

Demi hoped Ben would be home tonight, this was as good a time as any to take out the garbage. Even if he wasn't home she would have made it her mission to find him. Trevor and Amanda were with Misty for the night as an afterthought she called Danny for back up. She may have been angry, but she wasn't stupid.

Crashing in through the front door she yelled, "Where the hell are you!"

Ben sat in the lounge room, his bare feet rested on her coffee table. His shoes and socks sat neatly on the floor beside him and he was about to down a scotch on the rocks.

"Hey honey, rough day?" he asked her innocently.

"Oh sweetheart it's about to get rougher. I want to talk!"

"Hey settle down Dem," then looking at the door expectantly he asked, "where are the kids?"

"The kids are safe, which is more than I can say for you, how about we finish our conversation from two weeks ago!"

"Well sure honey, what's on your mind," he asked with a smile.

She hated when he took that condescending tone with her, it made her angrier.

"Let me see, where to start, I know, let's talk about the day I went into labour with Trevor, how about that?"

"It was the greatest day of my life, meeting our beautiful baby boy for the first time!" he said patronizingly.