Ch. 23 - A hopeless search

We were jumping from one branch to another and moving between the trees of the forest. I stopped sulking a few seconds ago and now I was looking at my teammates and squad leader Kakashi. All of them seemed really serious and I knew that they were probably thinking about Orochimaru and wondering if we're going to see Sasuke. I was kind of anxious because of that too, considering that my last reunion with Sasuke didn't go to well. It wasn't that I didn't want us to find him, I wished we could bring him back to the village, just like everyone else, I was just worried that he was going to try to attack us.

No one of us was completely sure about what kind of person Sasuke became after the years he spent with Orochimaru... I just knew that he was never going to be the same anymore. He was always grumpy and serious, but I liked him like that. He was the 'normal' one in our group of friends. And now the Sasuke that we all liked was gone and replaced by someone evil.

But the question here now was if we were even able to still bring the old Sasuke back, or if there was no chance for him anymore.

'' Kiba-kun, w-what are you thinking? '' Hinata asked Kiba and jumped on a branch next to him, before she continued to another. Her pale lavender eyes were full of worry for her friend. Hinata was just like that, she always wanted all of us to be okay and happy.

Akamaru barked and Kiba looked at Hinata. '' I'm just thinking about our mission to rescue Sasuke, '' he seriously replied. '' But this time it's really going to be at Orochimaru's hideout... Maybe the same people will appear... ''

What was he talking about? I frowned with confusion, thinking. Then I realised that it was probably something connected to when Sasuke left the village. I wasn't part of the team that went after him, but I knew that they failed to bring him back. If I wasn't wrong, Kiba was also part of that team.

'' What, nervous? '' Kakashi joined the conversation.

Kiba just smirked at that. '' Just the opposite, Kakashi sensei! In addition to Shikamaru, word has it that even Naruto beat the Akatsuki. I've been training hard, I have to show the others that I won't fall behind! I'm just as strong as everyone else! ''

'' Then I'll have to demonstrate the results of my training too, '' Shino quietly said.

'' Huh? '' Kiba asked and looked over his shoulder.

Shino just seriously continued: '' That's because unlike you guys, I've rarely been on missions consistently with the same mambers. ''

'' Are you still bitter because you couldn't be a part of that mission? '' I asked, sweatdropping. How was it possible that he held a grudge for so long? I mean, I wasn't part of that mission neither and I already forgot about it!

'' That, plus the fact that Naruto didn't even recognise his comrade's face... '' Shino darkly muttered.

I sweatdropped again, rolling my eyes. Man, Shino was really able to hold a grudge for long... All that stuff happened months ago... I couldn't help it but to wonder what would he say if I would tell him that when I came back to the village after my training I probably also wouldn't recognise him if he would've been with Hinata and Kiba.

Kiba just told him that it was probably because Shino kept his face covered like that, but Shino just jumped closer to him and spoke up with his creepy voice. '' That shouldn't matter... among comrades... ''

I just rolled my eyes again and grinned, while Hinata tried to keep Kiba and Shino from starting a fight.

'' Anyway, '' I started, making the three and Kakashi look at me. '' You're all going to have to try really hard to beat me! You're not the only ones that got stronger! What do you think Takeshi and I were doing for three years? Spending time at the hot springs like Jiraiya and Naruto usually do on their training trips? ''