Chapter One

• Chapter One •

Things to do today:

- Visit the orphanage

- Help out at the retirement village

- Shift at the pet store

- Assist Caroline in shopping for a dress

Sufficiently, I had managed to do three of the four things on my to do list. Meaning, in turn, I still had one more thing to cross off. That one thing was to assist my sister Caroline, in choosing a suitable dress for the Holmes Chapel annual auction. Mind you, the date was two weeks away, why she was so persistent on me spending the remainder of my Saturday at the local shopping centre today would be a mystery to me. I guess she was just attempting to be as efficient and organized as I am.

As I walked down the humble streets of my home town I smiled in satisfaction. "Good afternoon Mrs Lankhurst." I greeted the bubbly old woman who worked as a florist on Waverly Street.

"And good afternoon to you too Noel," she greeted as she nodded her head, managing to hold her straw sun hat in place. Not that she needed it, Holmes Chapel isn't exactly the sunniest of places. I walked peacefully along the rain stained pavement in order to reach my destination.

"Good afternoon Mr Nickleson," I greeted the old man who always sat on the green bus bench at this time of the afternoon.

"Good afternoon Noel," he replied with a small wave as I smiled at him.

The town knew me well, it helped that my mother owned the bakery down the road. That's where the majority of the residents in our town buy their fresh bread and treats. You will come to find that I am not like most girls. I would choose to spend my afternoon reading to the children in Chesire's Royal Children's hospital than sit around on the rainy day and watch romantic comedies. My older sister insists that there is something wrong with me but my mother just persists in calling me her angel for that reason.

My mother is one of those bright, bubbly women who continually reminds you that you can always achieve your goals. My dream is to study English Literature at Oxford University, only that is quite a far fetched dream. You see, no matter the long hours at the pet store that I work, I'm still no where near close to making a years savings for Oxford, let alone four. My mum is running the bakery for longer hours to assist in paying and saving but there is only so much you can make from hot cross buns. So my dreams in studying at Oxford are not idealistic.

Sighing, I turn the corner of Robinsons Avenue and stare at the looming store which I will be standing in for the next two hours, if at that. Walking in, I am instantly hit with the cool air conditioning which makes me shiver. There is no need for an AC in England, ever. Why they were ever installed I will never know. Shooting off a quick text to my sister informing her that I have arrived, I allow my eyes to roll over all the furbished stores.

"Finally Noel, took your time didn't you? Come on, we have a lot of work to do." That would be Caroline's frantic voice, dragging me off to a boutique. We agreed on meeting at three and it is ten to three so there was no need for the impatient antics.

My sister was dressed in last seasons floral high waisted skirt and a plain black top. We were different in the sense of what we wore, as my attire consisted of last years light denim jeans and a plain white shirt. With a hard working single mother, we couldn't exactly afford the latest fashion. Not that I minded, I was comfortable in all my clothing.

Caroline had been saving up for the perfect dress so at this years auction, David O'Shaun will ask her out. As lectured, it was of the up most importance that we find the dress to suit the honorable occasion. It wasn't too bad, watching as she paced around the boutiques while I sat on the offered furniture and listened to the music surrounding the store.

The song was one commonly played through the town. It was What makes you beautiful by One Direction. This song was widely adored and popular among the town because one of the members of this band came from our very town. Harry Styles. I don't know him personally considering we have never been in the same classes at school but I hear that he is trouble.