Chapter Nineteen

• Chapter Nineteen •

To say Harry was struggling at pitching a tent was an understatement. I offered my assistance but he politely rejected to uphold his status as a male, who should clearly be capable of pitching a tent. Instead of spending my time, watching the poor boy mishandle the equipment, I followed my mother inside and we shared a cup of tea. I noticed there was something she wanted to tell me, the moment we walked in to greet her. She had this gleam in her eye of excitement, she would often steal glances at me when I wasn't paying attention. The drive to have a moment with me alone was finally here.

"Honey, something came in the post while you were gone." She said calmly, catching my eye's gaze. I tended to loose my concentration when in a 10 mile radius of Harry, even when he's not in the room he seems to have my undivided attention. Refocusing back on my mother, I thought nothing of what she was saying. 

"Is it a letter or parcel?" I asked, only slightly curiously. It wasn't often that I received mail and on the off chance I did, it would be a subscription to the school's newsletter, but I wasn't slightly interested in it at the moment. My mother's smile grew deeply, "It was sitting on the counter for a whole month but I could no longer resist the temptation, I hope you don't mind." My mother said as she handed me a previously opened envelope. It was teared so badly that I didn't even notice a school logo on the front.

I hadn't cared if my mother opened my mail, I never had anything to hide. But this wasn't any ordinary mail. This was Oxford mail. Clenching the letter in my hands, I read over the typed words addressed to me, devouring the significant moment of occurrence.

Dear Noel Springs,

Congratulations! You have been selected for an interview for admission to Oxford University Cambridge, England. Your interview will be conducted June 1st at 10:30am. We will be looking forward to seeing you there.

I couldn't breathe. Ever since I was a little girl I had been waiting for the day I received my acceptance letter into Oxford and now since I have an interview, this whole dream seems surreal. My interview was in only 3 days, luckily we came back when we did or else I would have missed it. Amongst thinking about what I was going to wear, or how I would have my hair, I completely forgot that Harry and I were flying to America early tomorrow morning.

"I'm so proud of you hunny, once they meet you they will not be able to resist accepting you." With tears in her eyes, my mother once again noticed where I was staring. Connecting the dots, she rested a warm hand over my own. "It will be alright Noel. He will understand. I mean sweetie, he knows you took the job for this moment." But she didn't understand my growing concerns. Sure, a few days without Harry would be tough considering we have spent 4 months together but what happens when the dream starts.

What happens if I actually get into Oxford? Naturally, Harry would continue on with his life, touring and what not, while I will be studying, on the other side of the world. And everybody knows that long distance never works. We could try, but what if he finds a girl on the road, or returns to his one nights stands. I can't expect him to wait for me. I can't put him through all those lonely nights, staring up at the moon wondering what time of day it is where I am, or how long it will be until he sees me next.

It would be better if I ended whatever we have before something dangerous happens, and we get in too deep. Although I think one of us already has. "Before you jump to little conclusions in that beautiful brain of yours hunny, talk to him, talk it out. Tell him your fears and concerns, tell him how you feel. And listen to how he feels, listen to his thoughts. I know you both will work something out, or figure out a plan." My mother said reassuringly, giving me permission to go outside and share the news with Harry.