Chapter 2

I Saw Her Scars

Chapter 2

If I thought that the only thing that would change in my life is being lonely and graduation, I would be wrong. The next change in my life was happening right now.

I continued to sit at the popular table, even though I could not stand half the people there.

Here's a secret about the populars. If we had the opportunity to rip out each others throats, we would do it without hesitation. The only reason we hung out with each other was because we were powerful. And when powerful people come together, nothing could stop us.

Although the popular table was still the same, the thing that changed was everyone's sudden change of heart towards her. All I could hear in the lunchroom was sympathy towards her and her death.

"Why do the good always die?"

"I wish I could have gotten to know her more before she died."

"It could have been anyone in the world, but it had to be her."

I could not tell if these people had a real change of heart towards her or were just begging for sympathy. Maybe both.

Even Alice, who hated her guts, was taking a part in this sympathy train. Just last night, after the funeral, she had made a status that said: 'I may have not known Emma much, but I could always tell that she was a great person. Rest in Peace Emma, heaven has a new angel!"

She had gained a ton of sympathy from that post, from friends and even family members. I have never met anyone I hated more than I hate Alice. She was the most fake person I have ever met. But I guess she was meant to be in my life for a reason since my old best friend Connor had brought her in, and right when she was about to leave, my next best friend Harry had brought her back.

I guess she was meant to be in Connor's life too before she died, because no matter how hard I tried to get rid of her, she would not leave. I tried to remind Connor of their differences, isolating her as an emo freak. I tried to force Connor to stop talking to her, but he would not leave. I even tried to take action into my own hands by doing that stupid national anthem scheme in order to get her expelled. The school hated her anyway and suspended her several times for smoking and doing drugs on school property. They would have looked for any opportunity to get her expelled. But even then, I could not get her out of his life. And I guess I could not get Alice out of mine.

I looked over at Connor's table, where they used to eat lunch together. It was once the loner's table, but it now had a crowd of people surrounding it. Even more people who felt the need to show sympathy for her death.

"There's something different about today..." said Aaron, one of the jocks at my table.

"No duh," Alice chimed in, "We are no longer the popular table, Emma's old table is. Ironic, isn't it?"

"What do you mean by ironic, babe?" Harry questioned with his arm around her.

"She used to be that loser who nobody wanted to be with. But ever since she killed herself for attention she has suddenly become popular, almost as popular as us."

"That's a really shit thing to say considering you have been using her death to amp up your social media."

"What did you say?" Alice said to him.

"You know what I said."

"Well... You wouldn't have even been at this table if Connor was never your friend."

"I could say the same to you. It wasn't until you tried getting into Connor's pants that you were able to sit at this table."

Harry put his hand up, "Hahah, high five dude!"

"Harry!" Alice said angrily.

"Sorry."

I decided to continue this conversation, I didn't care anyways. "You knew that when you moved here at the beginning of the year that nobody wanted to be friends with the new kid, especially during senior year. So you tried to use Connor to work your way up the clique chain."

"Ooo Alice, you got burned!" said Harry.

"Harry! You're supposed to e standing up for your girlfriend!"

"Sorry. Rylan, can you stop being so rude to Alice?"

"No."

"Sorry babe, nothing I can do."

Alice grunted and walked away. I guess the reason she was still with him, despite him being Harry, was that without dating him she would go back to being an average person, rather than a popular. Ever since Connor dumped her she needed to scramble to find someone else to be with. But I didn't have the heart to tell Harry.

"Man," Harry said not really realizing how angry Alice was, "Connor looks sad over there, even with the herd of girls surrounding him."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Can I go over and talk to him, Rylan?"

"Huh?"

"You said I couldn't talk to him anymore. But can I talk to him right now?"

"Oh, sure. Go ahead Harry. I'm not the boss of you."

"You were before."

"That was then. This is now."

"Oh... Okay..." Harry said walking away still seeming as if he didn't know what was going on. That was alright, I didn't fully know what was going on either.

All I know is that her death will change things as I know them, and whether if would be for better or for worse is something I'm not yet sure of. 

-----------

Like, comment, follow, share :)