Chapter 3

I Saw Her Scars

Chapter 3

"Hi mom," I said as I walked into the house.

"Hey sweetie," she whispered putting her hand over the receiver, "I'm on the phone. We'll talk later."

I was on my way upstairs before my mom said something that made me stop midway.

"Okay Derek," she said, "Sorry for he short call, he's home now. You'll need to call me back tonight."

Derek!? As in Connor's brother Derek? What was my mom doing talking to him? Sure, they talked on occasion, but that was only when he would drop Connor off at my house or when my mom would drop me off at his. At least, when we used to hang out.

What could they be talking about? And why did my mom have to keep it secret from me? It couldn't be about her death... Could it?

I guess it had to be. I don't think my mom would talk to Derek unless it was important, and her death was the recent significant event that changed my life.

But why would my mom care? She didn't even know who the girl was, never mind who had ties to her. What if she found out how I treated her before she died? I was my mom's only child. I could not let my mom think her only child was some sociopath who did not even show up to her funeral.

I went up to my room to do my homework. Well, more like pretending to do my homework. I was coming up with my plan on how I would try to listen to tonight's conversation between my mom and Derek. I was also lazy, thanks to the famous disorder called 'senioritis'.

I played some video games and went on my phone until it was time for me to go to 'sleep'. I was not really planning on sleeping, I was planning on staying up until my mom called Derek so that I could listen to their conversation.

I had laid in my bed with the lights out for what seemed like hours, staring at my ceiling anxiously waiting for the phone to ring. The suspense was killing me.

The phone finally rang at 1 in the morning and I quietly opened my bedroom door and walked to the other side of the hall where the upstairs phone was. I could get a clear view of my mom, but she could not see me as long as I stayed behind the wall.

I waited for her to pick up the phone so that I could pick it up at the same time as her.

"Hello?" she said.

"Hi Mrs. Carson. Sorry to call so late, I had some errands to do for work."

"Oh, that's alright. I'm not working tomorrow anyway. So you wanted to talk about Rylan and Connor?"

"I think we need to find a way to make them be friends again."

"They're no longer friends?"

"You didn't know?"

"Rylan never told me... This is awful. Is that why Rylan has been acting so differently?"

"It must be so. Connor too has been acting differently."

"This may seem a little far fetched... But does the girl who recently died have anything to do with this? Rylan acted all jumpy when I asked him about her."

"Actually Mrs. Carson... That girl, Emma O'Donnel has everything to do with it."

"What? What happened?"

"Her and Connor became good friends and I am not sure what happened but for some reason Emma and Rylan could not both be friends with Connor."