Chapter 4

I Saw Her Scars

Chapter 4

I woke up to darkness before I had opened my eyes, and I was in a setting I was not familiar with ever since I had broken my leg when I was ten years old.

"Oh Rylan, you're awake!" my mom said hugging me.

"Mom? What am I doing here?"

"You got in a car accident on the way to school. I want to be really mad at you right now but you're in so much pain."

"I can't feel my arm..."

"You fractured it. They had to numb it out so that they could put the bones back in place."

"What?"

"Rylan, what happened?"

"I don't know..." I lied.

I remembered. I let my thoughts of her consume me and I wasn't paying attention while I was driving.

"What time is it?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"It's 2:00. Rylan, stop trying to be concerned with everything else and start being concerned about yourself. You were just in an accident and you're wondering what time it is!? How about if you broke anything else? Or if you'll be okay enough to go to school tomorrow? Or if there's any permanent damage?"

"I asked what time it was because I want to know how long I've been out for, mom."

"Okay... Fine..."

"So... What's happening with my car? Is it fine?"

"No Rylan," she sighed, "It's not, and I'm not getting you a new one anytime soon."

"I'm sharing yours?"

"You aren't even in any condition to drive! You fractured your arm! When the other car came towards yours I think you had your elbow against the door and when the impact happened your body went towards the direction of the door which hurt your arm with it."

"I can drive with one arm."

"I don't think so. And if you even think I will let you drive after you got in a car accident then you're crazy."

"How will I get to school!?"

"The bus, honey."

"You've got to be kidding me!"

"It scares me that you would even think about driving after what happened!"

"Next you're going to tell me that I'm well enough to go to school tomorrow!"

"You are... You were only knocked out for a couple of hours. You will be fine."

"Dammit!"

"Rylan, what has gotten into you?"

"Mom, I just need some time to be alone. Please."

"Okay, fine..." She said sitting back in her chair.

I put my face into my unbroken arm in frustration. Sometimes, I just needed some time to myself to think. My mom always trying to be there and fixing all my problems didn't help that.

Why was it that whenever she came up, bad things would happen? I know she just died and all but it couldn't be a coincidence.

"Okay Rylan," said one of the doctors coming in and interrupting my thoughts, "Can you tell us what happened to the best of your memory?"