Chapter 6

I Saw Her Scars

Chapter 6

"Okay class," said Mrs. Dawson, "I really hate to inform you that we do not have class today."

"Yeah!" everyone shouted.

"Get ready to take back those cheers of freedom because we instead have a school assembly."

"Boo!" Everyone replied.

"Oh, quit your whining. I'm already not too thrilled that they are taking away even more class time. You kids are already falling behind."

"Ms. Dawson," said Mr. Miller over the PA, "Send your class to the gym please."

"Alright," she replied pressing the receiver.

"Let's go," she moodily said to the class.

Everyone was weirded out. Not at Ms. Dawson being grumpy, she was usually like that. They were weirded out about this emergency school assembly. The school usually planned out these assemblies months in advance and the whole school knew about them in advance. But this one just seemed to... Happen.

What event constituted an emergency assembly?

"Hello students," Mr. Miller said at the podium, "Thank you for gathering with us today. Looking at the emotions of happiness and life in your faces makes me, as a principal, overjoyed. You are the bright young people of our future..."

"Thant's not what he said to me when I got detention last week," Harry whispered to me.

"You are here to make sure than you can bring the next generation into a world much better than ours. As we've discovered over the past couple of days, there is a lot that you as a generation can improve upon. With the loss if one of our students, we learned that there is still a lot to be improved upon."

Oh no... I knew where this was leading and I did not like it.

"I believe that my generation has not done a good job at us countering the forces of bullying. This force became so bad, so evil, that we lost a fellow student because of it. Emma O'Donnell was a beautiful soul..."

I had to put my head into my hands. They had to be kidding me. Just a month ago they wouldn't help her with any problems she had. They in fact really hated her, even more than they hated me.

Now they were acting as if they were some kind of angels by acknowledging her death? They say they want to bring us up into a good world, but I don't think being total fakes is the first step into doing it.

"In honour of our dear student Emma, we have decided to build a bench and a garden in front of the school in her honour. It will be called the Peace Garden, one in which we, as people, can come together in peace as friends rather than as enemies."

I had to cover my ears to shield myself from the idiocy I was hearing.

I looked around the gym and saw everyone give warm and sympathetic smiles. They were eating up all of his crap. Just days ago they couldn't care less about her. They in fact told her to kill herself, that she doesn't belong here, yet they were now acting like they cared about her? They treated her like dirt when she was alive, that doesn't make her any different of the person she is now that she is dead. She's still the same person, she's just no longer around. Yet they were acting as if it was someone that they loved dearly.

My ears were still covered, but I saw Ms. Dawson walk up to the podium. I uncovered my ears to hear what she had to say. She was angry about this assembly earlier.

"Hello students. I, Ms. Dawson, am proud to be head of the Peace Garden Committee. This is a cause I hold very close to my heart because Emma was very dear to mine."