Chapter 21-The Apology

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21-The Apology

Emmaline Heywood's POV

As I sat on my desk, I quickly filed away all the paperwork before reaching for a new folder regarding the replacement of some pieces in the museum for repair and maintenance and my eyes stopped at the picture of Ella and I. That had been there only recently when I felt that I didn't want my office to seem too impersonal. 

In the picture, Ella was grinning toothily and I was a little amused that she wanted to show off to the camera that she had an ice-cream in her hand. This had been taken last year and after a month she had given Ella to me. 

Now that I had Ella in my life, I couldn't imagine life without her and now, all I wanted more than anything else was for Theo to wake up to meet his incredible daughter and also for Ella to know her father - someone who would love her unconditionally, besides me, unlike her mother.

Also, I was still waiting for the shoe to drop.

I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Jack still wanted me despite everything. I was nothing special and I couldn't give him children.

Sure I knew and wanted to have my own at some point in my life. When I was probably thirty or so but at sixteen, that choice was ripped from me and I had to deal with it. I had gotten over it of course but at times, I still longed for it no matter how much I knew that reality was cruel.

Hence, I couldn't even believe why Jack still wanted me. I knew him and seeing him with his nephews and niece, I knew that he would have children and he would be a fantastic dad unlike mine. It wasn't fair to him that he couldn't have any because of me.

However, I was selfish.

No matter how much I knew it would be better for Jack to be without me, I couldn't let him go.

He made me smile and laugh and his personality was a counterpart of my more serious and cynical side. He was the very few people in my life who could make me smile other than Zach and Theo along with Ella.

I couldn't explain the fact that whenever he was around, I couldn't help but brighten up. It was silly and strange and odd but...I liked it.

A smile graced my lips at that and I gradually turned back to the files on my desk. There was work to be done and I really shouldn't spend more time thinking about my life. With a soft sigh, I began looking through the papers about the upcoming exhibition from Greece.

Time must have passed and it wasn't till a soft knock on my door alerted me. Calling out for the person to come in, I was met with the sight of Isadora standing at the doorway with a blank expression on her face.

"Isadora," I greeted tonelessly but a tad surprised as the dark haired woman stepped into my office carefully. "How may I help you?" I questioned a little warily. I didn't dislike Jack's sister-in-law, I just had slight reservations against her.

While I didn't appreciate her announcing everything about me outright, I was a little thankful that she did. Because I knew that I would have never told Jack about it if it were up to me and for that, I was grateful to her for that.

Isadora stared at me before she straightened her back and tilted her chin outwardly, "I came here to..." she hesitated and paused before continuing, "apologise."

From her stance, I could see that the woman wasn't one who apologise or did so often. "Oh?" I eyed her a little cautiously and wondered if anyone - including Jack - had put her up to it.

"Yes, I apologise for the way I had announced your history or secret whichever it is. It wasn't my place to say them and for that I apologise. It was really unkind and insensitive of me to mention things about your brother as well," she said quietly with her gaze levelled with mine.