Chapter 24-The News

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 24-The News

Emmaline Heywood's POV

"Emmy?"

"Yeah?" I questioned, turning to face my brother while continuing to stroke through Ella's hair as she lay sleeping on me.

"Did you ever... hate me?" Theo questioned, his eyes avoiding mine as they focused on his daughter instead. I blinked and furrowed my brows. "Why would you ask something like that? You're my brother, I can never hate you," I said quietly and reached out to grab his hand.

"You should. I've caused you so much pain and sorrow and Ella deserves someone better than me to look after."

"Theo, it doesn't matter. I forgave you. Of course I'm still mad but all that matters is that you're okay now. Everything will slowly go back to normal - sort of," I reassured my brother who sighed heavily and finally met my earnest gaze. Guilt was swimming in those brown eyes of his and he looked extremely tired.

"I'm sorry Emmy for everything I've put you through. I'm a rotten brother."

Feeling some form of annoyance creep up on me, I began to scowl a little. "Shut up," I snapped, hoping that I wouldn't wake Ella up. "You're not a horrid brother. You may not be perfect but no one is. You were there for me during the Incident and I have absolutely no idea what would happen if you weren't."

Theo nodded and reached forward to take Ella from me. Seeing the sight of the little girl in his arms made me tear up. Despite Theo waking up two weeks ago, I was still emotional because it felt like a dream. As if it wasn't reality that he was fine and awake and reunited with Ella.

"I'll still have to say I'm so sorry Emm-"

"Shut up. Anymore apologising and I will tape your mouth." I glared and stared at him sternly and Theo chuckled lowly at my response.

Comfortable silence reigned in the room and a thought popped into my head. Theo was being released tomorrow and it has certainly been sheer luck that no one from the hospital had revealed to the press that he was awake. Hence, the lack of reporters.

"Have you sorted out living arrangements? After all, Ella would be back to staying with you eventually." The thought of the five-year-old that brightened up my life leaving my apartment brought a slight ache to my heart which was ridiculous. She wasn't going away, she was just staying with her dad and I could always see her anytime.

Theo scratched his head and shrugged, "I haven't given much thought about it to be honest. I've called the caretaker at my home already and well I think it would be best for Ella to stay with you for a while more until things are settled. She's just known me for two week and you a year." He sighed and continued, "I think its best for her to be more accustomed to me before she stays with me."

A proud smile formed on my face at that. Never would I have thought my brother would have grown up and matured. He was definitely going to be a good dad. "I see. Maybe while you get your lawyers and your housing and career arrangement sorted out, you could always bunk in with me. I have a spare room and it will help you bond with Ella."

Theo nodded and a large smile stretched across his face as he gazed down in adoration at Ella. "Yeah, that sounds great."

My smile faded as I realised something else. "I think its best you settle Ella's custody issues as soon as possible. Once news is spread about you being awake and having a daughter, that attention seeking cow would be back to try to get her away from you," I advised and Theo nodded, grim determination filled his features.