Chapter 23-The Interrogation

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 23-The Interrogation

Jack Donnahue's POV

"So..." I started before trailing off awkwardly. Why the hell had I agreed to stay behind and not go with Emma to get Ella from kindergarten? What the hell was I thinking? I really must have been drinking too much coffee.

Emma's brother, Theo stared at me scrutinisingly and shifted on the hospital bed. "How did you meet my sister? From what I remember - which is a year ago - she didn't seem too keen on dating."

Settling onto the couch at the end of the room which was positioned opposite the bed, I met his gaze evenly and replied awkwardly, "Ha, uh, that's a long story," I paused and reached out to scratch my head nervously. "I bumped into Emma and she didn't like me and I chased after her, we became friends and yeah..." I finished and trailed off.

"I see," Theo said, his head nodding in understanding as he leaned back on the bed, a contemplative expression on his face as he took in my words.

"Do tell me about yourself," Theo requested as he stared at me.

It was odd. This man was about four years younger than me but he was already commanding respect and I admired that about him for looking out for Emma. It was good that she had someone - probably multiple someones - that cared and worried about her.

I cleared my throat before starting, I was determined to make a good impression on Theo, he was Emma's brother and only family - besides Ella, but she didn't really count.

"I'm the middle child. I have two older brothers and one younger sister and brother. My mother passed away when I was young, in fact I don't remember her at all. My dad? I have no idea where he actually. I'm originally from Boston and uh, I started acting when I turned twenty, before I was in college trying to major in science but well, I dropped out. And yeah..."

Theo nodded, looking thoughtful and curious at the same time as if he wanted to ask me something but changed his mind halfway and a sombre atmosphere entered the room.

"You know even though we don't have parents, Emmaline still has people that look out for her. I'm sure you must have met Zach, her best friend from young, he may be a geek to you, but he used to be on the football team in college, in fact he was the captain of the team if memory serves me right," Theo said, the serious and solemn expression on his face contradicting the light conversational tone his voice was using. "All those gym sessions must have been exhausting. I heard it was a daily thing."

I nodded my head and kept silent. Zachary Richmond used to play football? That was news. Theo added, "And well, even though I'm younger than Emmaline, I still look out for her. She has been through things that no one should and I make the effort to try to protect her." Theo narrowed his eyes at me. "You do know what she has been through do you?"

"Yes, the accident and everything with it like the results. Emma did tell me," I said quickly, hoping to reassure Theo who looked quite worried as if he spilled Emma's secret.

"Right." Theo looked quite relieved before it was masked and his demeanour turned serious once more. "Well, not to mention my bodyguard who quite adores Emmaline and sees her like another daughter. Well, I'm sure you get the picture."

I nodded my head and tried to convey how sincere I was. "I am. I'm glad that Emma has people looking out for her and I promise that I would never hurt her." I promised seriously and I guessed Theo must have been convinced because the serious atmosphere in the room left and I could feel myself relax marginally.

"Good. Oh! One more thing, I'm sure you know I have connections and influence even though I'm younger than you. Hurt my sister and I'll make sure you get run out of Hollywood." For someone who was making threats, Theo Heywood didn't appear like he was with that award-winning smile on his face.