Chapter 13

“What!” A collective screech sounds through the entire gym turned ballroom. Everyone’s eyes turn to me, some with admiration and other’s with pure hatred.

            “Will Tora please make her way up to the stage in order to receive her crown?” Sasori asks holding up a cheap plastic tiara as a path to the stage opens up in front of me. I just stand there numbly staring up at the stage. How could they vote me? Everything clicks as soon as I see the smirk on Sasuke’s face and Neji trying not to smile.

            “I hate you both,” I growl and glare fiercely at the two boys.

            “Why whatever do you mean?” Sasuke asks looking at me innocently.

            “You know damn well what I mean!”

            “Come on Tora,” Neji says with a small push on my back. “You have to go receive your crown.”

            “No,” I say stubbornly and glare at them.

            “I didn’t want to have to do this, but your stubbornness is forcing me to,” Sasuke sighs and grabs my waist and lifts me over his shoulder. He starts walking to the stage as I pound my fists on his back.

            “Sasuke Uchiha, you put me down right now or I will tear your fucking arms off so you can never do this again!”

            “If you insist,” he says and sets me down, only instead of being in the middle of the dance floor like I expected, he set me down on the stage. Before I can bolt, Deidara grabs my arm and pulls me to the center of the stage next to Sasori and Gaara. Sasori places the crown on my head and steps back.

            “Now it’s time for the King and Queen’s dance!” Deidara exclaims. Without looking at me Gaara grabs my hand and pulls me down to the dance floor where a huge space had been cleared. He stops in the middle and turns to face me, his arms wrap around my waist and he pulls me closer. My heart skips a beat as I rest my arms around his neck and we start to sway to some slow song. Thank Kami the gym is dark so he can’t see my blush.

            “Congratulations on winning,” he whispers, his hot breath fanning out across my face.

            “Y-You too,” I stutter. Damn it Tora! Pull yourself together! “My only question is how did they do it?”

            “What?” He asks raising a nonexistent eyebrow.

            “Nothing,” I mutter and giggle as I see Sasuke and Neji holding Matsuri back at the edge of the dance floor. Sasuke notices my gaze and gives me a thumb up with a huge smile. I just roll my eyes at him and focus back on Gaara. His green eyes bore into mine with an intensity that takes my breath away.

            “You look amazing tonight,” he breathes.

            “You don’t look so bad yourself,” I say back with a tiny smile. A silence settles over us as the song finishes and people flood the dance floor.

            “Hey bitch!”

            “Oh Kami, not more jealous girls,” I mumble and stare wide eyed at the large crowd of girls, who were probably hoping to be queen, struggle to get to me through the throng of people.

            “Come on,” Gaara says, gently pulling on my arm. He leads me through the gym to the exit. We go into the hallway and he pulls me down it until we reach an abandoned classroom that was unlocked. Once inside he locks the door and turns to look at me. “They shouldn’t be able to find you in here.”