Three in the A.M.

Three in the A.M.

Remus laid on the bed in the room at the Leaky Cauldron, turning his new wand over in his hand. "Cypress wood, ten and a quarter inches, pliable... unicorn hair core... and a white moonstone concealed in the handle... You know, cypress wands are known to choose wizards who are self-sacrificing and loyal. The white moonstone chooses a wizard whose power of comforting others is strong... It's a very good wand, a loyal wand. Excellent for most spells, but most especially for protective charms. Use it well, Master Lupin," Ollivander had said, smiling when the wand had sparked stars at Remus's touch. He'd wrapped it up in a box with purple silk lining and handed it to Remus. Sirius had paid the galleons it cost happily.

Now, Remus had taken it from the box and was waving it about, making various items levitate and fly about the room. This new wand seemed to work much better than his last had, a lot faster, with more zip than he was accustomed to. He shivered with excitement each time he touched it, feeling the power of it run through his arm.

Sirius was on the floor in a clearing he'd made by shoving the couch across the room, reading the assembly instructions on the tent that he and Remus had purchased at Wildlife Wizarding Experience and messing with the tent poles, attempting to run a trial set-up of it. "Bloody confusing directions," muttered Sirius, Gottal label everything stupid. Like look at this - just look at it, Rey. Unfold Part A's Section B and insert into Section A and Section C of Part A. Fix Part A Section A into Part M's spigot labelled A." He held up the two parts, "WHY DON'T THEY JUST SAY PUT ONE OF THE STICK THINGIES IN THE CIRCLEY THING?"

"Because stick thingies and circley thing are hardly proper manufacturer parts..." Remus answered.

"I mean does it ruddy matter if Part A goes in the A spigot?" Sirius demanded. "Parts A, B, C, and D are all exactly the bloody same thing."

"Dunno," Remus replied.

"I have a strong suspicion that the tent doesn't give a ruddy damn what hole any of the parts go in, so long as you end up with a great big spidery-looking contraption when you're finished for the canvas to go over," Sirius said, and he proceeded to jam the pieces together, instructions be damned. He looked up at Remus as he worked and smirked, seeing Rey still turning the wand over and over in his fist. "At least one of us is thoroughly enjoying today's purchases," he commented.

Remus looked at him, realized he meant him with the wand, and laughed, "It's just so much more powerful than my last one..." he muttered.

"Didn't Mr. Ollivander get you a proper fit last time?" Sirius asked.

Remus blushed, "Well, see, my last one wasn't a fitting... it was second hand... my mum and dad couldn't afford a proper one.."

Sirius said, "Well blimey, my blast father's done you a bit of a favor breaking that thing, then! It's a wonder you've been as bloody powerful as you have at school the last three terms. Now you've got a proper wand -- well, the world best be on it's knees before you, Rey."

"Yeah..." Remus laughed and slashed at the air with his wand a little too hard, knocking over the fireplace tools with a clatter that made Sirius jump. "Oh dear I'm sorry!" Remus said in a rushed, panic-laden voice.

Sirius laughed rather uproariously.

That night was to be their last in the Leaky Cauldron before striking off onto the adventure Sirius's brain had cooked up for them. The full moon was only a couple days away - which would afford them just enough time to get where they were going before the transformation would occur. Remus clutched onto the blanket and kicked his feet against the blankets to scratch the stinging of the scars. Every one of them across his body seemed to be aching and his joints were, too. He rolled over, trying to find some position that was comfortable, but no matter which way he turned the muscles in his back were pulled taught and he groaned in discomfort.