The King has Returned

The King Has Returned

Remus poked his head out of the tunnel at the foot of the Whomping Willow, looking around, then climbed out carefully. He knelt on the grass a moment, then got to his feet, and hurried fro beneath the branches. He walked up the stone steps to the castle, and into the front doors. Everyone was heading into the Great Hall for lunch, and normally - being as famished as he was, Remus would've followed them, but today he had something far more important to do first.

He went upstairs, carefully sticking against the wall, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. He headed up the moving staircase slowly, taking his time at the landings as they separated and hurrying as they linked. Halfway down, he ran into James and Peter on their way to the Great Hall. "Hey - guys - come back to the dormitory with me a minute first," Remus requested when he reached them. "Please?"

"Lunch, though," Peter whined.

"I need your help with something. It's important."

James looked exhausted - nearly as much as Remus knew he looked. His eyes were dark rings and he had a general air of somebody that hadn't slept. "Alright," he muttered. "C'mon, Pete." James turned back around and started back up the steps.

"But lunch," Peter said.

"Bloody hell, Pete, we'll get lunch - just in a minute, alright? C'mon," James snapped.

Peter sighed and followed after. "You haven't even eaten breakfast yet - either of you - and you really need to eat..."

James rolled his tired eyes.

"Why didn't you eat breakfast?" Remus asked.

"I wasn't back yet," murmured James.

"Back from what?"

"Long story..." he shook his head.

There was a sneeze.

"Bless you," all three of them said at once. They looked at each other in confusion.

Remus turned first, red, "C'mon, hurry. Up to the dormitory."

James eyed him a moment, then sped up, waving for Peter, and hurrying, a feeling of understanding beginning to swell up in him. "Potter's Birthday," he told the Fat Lady as they approached.

"Not anymore," she yawned, "New password's going to be Giant Squid," and she swung open for them, still yawning.

The common room was empty - everyone had gone downstairs already, so the moment they were through the portrait hole, Sirius tore off the invisibility cloak. "BEHOLD!! THE KING HAS RETURNED TO HIS CASTLE!!!!"

Peter's eyes popped open and he stared, dumbfounded at the place where Sirius had appeared. "Sirius?!" he gasped, "What're you - how did you --"

James quickly hugged his mate, slapping him on the back and grinning.

"Got here in time for Moony," Sirius explained. If James and Remus looked exhausted, Sirius looked three times as much. His face was pale and gaunt and his hair was limp, not styled at all, and his usual good looks had faded slightly from lack of nourishment and proper rest. "He snuck me in." Sirius held up the invisibility cloak.

"Blimey." James grinned, "Lucky you took it, Moony."

"Lucky you have it, Prongs," Remus answered.

"Did you really run here all the way from London?" Peter asked in awe.

"Yes, as Snuffles mostly," Sirius answered, "I followed the tracks for the Express. It was a long journey. You have no idea how much I appreciate that ruddy train now!"