The Parchment on the Wall

CRACK!

Kreacher crawled across the bed, his ears flapping as he grabbed onto Regulus's hand. "Master Regulus!" He shook his master's shoulder vigorously. "Master Regulus must wake up. He must wake up very quickly."

Regulus rolled, squinting up at the little house elf's grey skin as he flapped his ears. "Kreacher?" he groaned, "What're you doing here?"

"Master Regulus... it's happening. What you asked Kreacher to tell you of is happened, Master Regulus." Kreacher's voice was a croaky whisper. "The Dark Lord is having his wishes fulfilled! The seer is bringing Master Sirius's friend to Mistress Bella's home, to the Dark Lord."

Regulus sat up, rubbing his eyes, "Kreacher, you're certain?"

"Yes," Kreacher said, nodding, "Yes, Kreacher is certain! The Dark Lord is very happy, Master Regulus, very happy indeed!"

Regulus struggled out from under his covers, shoving the duvet back. Kreacher hobbled backward across the mattress, watching his master as Regulus paced quickly from his bedside to the desk and back.

"If it is getting to the Dark Lord's side at this time that troubles Master, Kreacher will take you to Mistress Bella's home, Kreacher will help anyway Kreacher can!" he looked desperately at Regulus, desiring to be helpful in anyway he could, crouching as though to bow or grovel.

"No, Kreacher, you've done what I asked. Go home to your nest, Kreacher."

"Yes, Master, Kreacher is doing as Master says... Kreacher will always do as Master Regulus says - always, always..." The elf bowed and snapped his fingers, disappearing from the dormitory.

Regulus stared at the spot where the elf had stood, considering for a very long moment... He had to move quickly. He rushed to the desk, pulling a parchment from a drawer...

James woke up from a dream that he couldn't remember the moment his eyes opened. He stard up at the ceiling, uneasy, as though every part of him was tingling. He sat up and looked over at Peter's bed, "Peter," he said, grabbing his glasses, "Peter, wake up, I think I've just had one of the dreams and --" but as he jammed his lenses on his eyes, he saw Peter's bed was empty, his heart lurched. He got up quickly and looked around. Peter's wand was gone from the nightstand, but his cloaks and shoes were all exactly where he'd left them... James grabbed his own wand and grabbed his jacket, shrugging it on over his pyjamas, kicking his feet into his trainers. He hurried to grab the Marauder's Map from Sirius's desk, and ran down the stairs from the dormitory.

Lily was just coming down the stairs from the girls dormitories, both of them arriving to the common room at exactly the same time, in exactly the same levels of disarray. Lily wore a lavender colored nightgown with a lace bibbing 'round the front. James paused, staring at her - she was still tugging her jacket on, too, wand in one fist. She paused when she realized James was there. She looked at him, head to foot.

"Nice nightgown, you look like you've just stepped out of the 1800s," James said.

"You're one to talk, Mr. I-Have-Snitches-On-My-PJs," Lily said, eyeing the gold winged balls pictured all over James's pants. He wore a Gryffindor quidditch t-shirt over it that was slightly too small and hugged his skin so that every curve of his body was visible... Lily had no idea that he was so... shaped. She blinked to clear thoughts from her head. "What're you up for?" she demanded.

"Peter's missing."

Lily asked, "Mopsus?"

"Maybe. Or else he went to get chocolate from the kitchens. Either/or. But he didn't leave a note." James was still staring at her nightgown. "Why are you up?"