A Handkerchief for Professor Minnie

James and Peter were running through the tunnel from beneath the Whomping Willow. Desperate, James shouted, "SIRIUS!" into the dark, but there came no reply.

"What if they've already changed?" Peter worried as they ran along.

"It wasn't moon rise yet," James said.

"Well this is a long tunnel, we dunno if it is out there by the time we get to the Shack. What if Remus is changed and he attacks us?" Peter asked.

"Shut up, we're going to catch Sirius before he gets to the Shack," James answered, putting on even more speed.

Peter groaned, already running as hard as he could.

Suddenly, James could see a point of light ahead in the dark and he smacked Peter's arm excitedly, "See, look, there he is! Sirius!!! Sirius, WAIT!!!"

"Potter?" called a voice through the dark -- but it certainly wasn't Sirius Black's.

"Evans?"

James slowed as she stepped into view, her wandlight illuminating her, his illuminating him and Peter. She looked at him in confusion, "What're you lot doing here?"

"What are you doing here, more like?" James said, "Did Sirius recruit you to help him on his stupid mission?"

"What stupid mission?" Lily was confused, "I was helping Remus with -- something."

"So you haven't seen Sirius?" Peter asked.

"No... should I have?" Lily asked.

"He was coming this way to supposedly catch Remus with his supposed boyfriend that doesn't exist," James said, "And I was trying to catch up with him to tell him who the bloody boyfriend is."

Lily looked confused, "Who the non-existent boyfriend is?"

"It's Peter," James said, thumbing at Peter.

Peter's face pinkened in anger, "I'm not, Regulus Black was making fun of us and --"

Lily cried out, "I KNEW THERE WASN'T A BOYFRIEND! OH MY GOD! THAT MEANS SIRIUS CAN CALM DOWN AND ASK REMUS AND REMUS HAS THE PERFECT BIRTHDAY GIFT FOR HIM AND THEY'RE GOING TO KISS WHEN HE GETS IT! I JUST KNOW IT! OH MY GOD!" She danced about and grabbed James's hands as she did.

He stared at her touch in disbelief, then gave in to it and danced about with her, knocking his glasses askew.

Peter looked utterly perplexed, "Wait. Why would Sirius kiss Remus?!"

James looked at Peter, "Merlin's beard, you're clueless," he said as Lily let go of his hands and grabbed onto Peter's, making him dance about, too.

"But - Sirius - but why -- I don't understand!" Peter whimpered, so confused as Lily dropped his hands, too after a moment of dancing.

She was flushed from her excitement. "Potter, please, please, please let me come to whatever birthday celebrations you lot have. I need to see it when Remus and Sirius finally -- finally get together!"

James smirked, having removed his glasses to wipe them clean and replacing them on his nose, "Sure, love, you can be my date to the party."

Lily was too exhilarated by the idea of Remus and Sirius getting together that she didn't even notice James had said date, and she didn't argue it.