Chapter 9

Dylan knew Devon had to work this morning so she had set her alarm to get up with her. It was the least she could after Devon had stayed with her. She wished there was some way that she could convey how much that had meant to her but for the moment "thank you" would have to suffice.

After coffee, they both dressed and Dylan walked Devon to the parking lot across the street, "Remind me to give you the code so you can park underground where it's safer next time." Dylan told her as she unlocked her car door.

"That would be nice." She smiled putting her arms around Dylan's neck.

"Thank you for last night, just being there with me meant a lot." Dylan replied honestly looking into her eyes as she slid her arms around her slender waist.

"It was nice just cuddling like that." Devon said.

Lifting an eyebrow, Dylan smiled, "Better than making love"?

"I didn't say that," she replied lifting an eyebrow, "I said it was nice, there's nothing better than making love with you."

Feeling her heart speed up, Dylan hugged her tightly, "Can I come over tonight"? She asked hopefully.

"Of course you can, darling, you don't ever have to ask me that." she purred into her ear before giving Dylan a kiss that curled her toes.

Clearing her throat, Dylan stepped back a little, "I'll try to be there around six."

"I'll make dinner for us then." She smiled happily.

"Don't go to any trouble, just being with you is enough." Dylan stated.

"Sweet talker." Devon replied before turning around to get into her car.

Once back inside, Dylan decided to shower and work a little before calling Aidan, but when she did, she was surprised with what he said.

"Thanks for calling Dyl, I wasn't sure you would."

"I wasn't sure either, but you sounded...desperate." She admitted worriedly.

"We are."

"We"? Dylan asked.

"Mom and me want to get Conner out of Belfast." He told her seriously, "he's a lot like you Dylan, he can do so much more with his life."

Feeling her heart speed up because none of her brother's had ever admitted that she had done the right thing, nor that it may be a good idea to get anyone else out.

"What does Conner want"? She asked carefully.

"He wants a life...he wants to go to college."

"That's great, surely our father wouldn't begrudge his son a college education though." Dylan replied.

"He wants to go to college in the states; he wants no part of what we do."

"Good for him, so what is it you need from me"? Dylan asked knowing her hands were tied when it came to matters of the family.

"Father won't fund a school in the states because he's afraid Conner won't come back...and he'll end up like you." Aidan replied.

"You mean happy." Dylan stated.

"I mean, not a part of us."

Feeling like a knife just sliced through heart, Dylan sighed, "So, I ask again, what is it you want from me"?