Choices

Past
15 weeks
( WARNING -- mentions of abortion are in this chapter. )

Maya uncomfortably shifted in her seat, waiting for their dinner to arrive. She, somewhat, agreed to go to dinner with not only her family, but Lucas' too. And his parents.. were less than thrilled with the coming of a baby.

Julie, Lucas' mother, onlooked her judgingly, before clearing her throat and sipping her water again, for the 50th time the minute.

Shawn awkwardly tried to start up a conversation about recent events, but Lucas' father shot him down.

"Recent events, hm?" He started. "Recent events're what you want to talk about? With her?" David mentioned towards Maya, and he tilted his head.

"What is that suppose to mean?"

Julie chuckled. "Shawn, she's pregnant! That isn't a positive event. She's ruined."

"Ruined?" Shawn repeated. "Maya is not ruined. She's just as good as us both."

"Sure. Sweetie," She said, facing towards the young blonde, who winced at the pet name. "do you really think you have a childhood anymore?"

"What?" Maya blinked, standing up straighter. "I am still a childhood. My child will just be a part of that."

"No, honey, life changes with a baby. Everything changes." She tapped her fingernails. "You think your life is normal, but that's just for now."

David nodded and Julie raised her eyebrows.

"In this world, Maya, you have two options." She held up her fingers, and the families both looked on at her actions.

"Julie, let it go." Katy said, trying to stop her "points" from coming.

"No, Katy, I know what I am saying."

"What /are/ you saying, Mrs. Friar? I'm not hurting my baby." Maya inquired, shifting her head upwards.

Julie held her hand on her glass cup. "Two options to have your childhood before you lose one." Maya scoffed, Julie continued. "You have abortion or adoption."

"What?" She replied under her breath. "Adoption... or abortion?"

"Sweetie, abortion is when--"

"I know what abortion is!" Maya snapped. "I am not a child, stop treating me like you know better than me with your condiscending attitudes!" She exclaimed, her palms against the table.

"Maya!" Lucas barked, trying to stop her.

She ignored him. "You didn't think I hadn't already considered either of those? For even a damn second? No, I did. It terrified me. This baby is MY baby. Not yours. Who the fuck are you to decide what I want to do with my life?"

"I was just--"

"Just what? Trying to help? It's not helpful, it's rude. I know what I'm doing with it-- I'm keeping my baby." With that, Maya had snapped up her handbag, pushing her chair back into place and swinging out of the restaurant.

Fuck her. She knew exactly what she was doing. She would learn. And she sure as hell wasn't as stupid as Mister and Missus Friar would like to believe.