Scan

20 weeks pregnant

Waking up early Sunday morning, Maya woke up. She had a doctor's appointment for an ultrasound, and even as she was finishing dressing, and slid on her shoes, her stomach turned with nervousness. What if there was something wrong with her child? What if it wasn't as healthy as they had predicted? What if---

Stop.

Maya forced herself to stop.

She inhaled deeply, shaking her head to herself. It'd all be fine, she was sure. She hadn't felt anything-- apparently-- weird.

Stepping out of her room, her hand laid over the growing bump of her stomach. It wasn't very big 20 weeks along, but God, did she feel fat. Maya shrugged, looking out the window for Lucas' car. Her parents were out-- Katy at work at Shawn helping the Matthews repair something or other.

"Maya. You're up!" Speak of the devil, he spoke. Nearly made her jump out of her socks, too.

"Yeah--" She groggily rubbed her face. "Yeah, I set an alarm. You're up too."

Lucas nodded, his cup of coffee in his hand. "I got here early, about when Katy left." When he put his mug down, his hands slid into the pockets of his jeans. She could tell he was nervous too. "A- are you ready?"

Maya hesitantly nods. Mentally, no, she's not ready. Because an ultrasound just means even more proof that there's a /human/ growing inside of her. She bit her cheek. "Yeah.. I'm ready."

Lucas returns a nod, his hand softly on her shoulder as they left and locked the apartment. He wondered what was going on inside of her head. Whatever it was, she must be terrified as him. Lucas was going to be a father, and he couldn't really believe himself.

Loading into his car, silence brewed betaeen them. Because what was there to say? They were being thrown into parenthood because of a stupid, stupid mistake. Maya's lip trembled, and she tried her hardest not to cry. Before the car even left the parallel parking spot, Lucas looked at her.

"Maya... are you okay?"

No. No, she wasn't okay. And the question sent her even closer to breaking. "Lucas," She managed, somewhat calmly. "what are we gonna do?"

He never was too good at feeling. "Well... things are gonna change. But.. the important part is through hard times, we'll still be with each other. And our friends. And our--" He winced. "/your/ parents."

She sniffled. "What if the baby's not healthy a- and I've done something wrong? What if she's damaged before she even makes contact--" Maya hiccupped in her attempt to not cry. "with the world? I don't want to lose it before I even know who it is."

Lucas saw her pained face, and he leaned over, best he could, and hugged her tightly. She clung to his shirt, letting herself sob and crumble and break because she didn't know how to stop it. His hands held her shoulders, her waist, his lips kissed her temple, in any attempt to calm her down. No, he wouldn't say it'd be okay. Because it wouldn't be that easy. But he would be here for her all the steps of the way-- or atleast, he would try.

"Lucas, I'm scared." She uttered, her hands gripping his arm to steady herself in his embrace.

"I am too." He admitted, sighing quietly. "But.. we don't know that the baby's damaged... if we never go see it for ourselves, right?" Pulling back slightly, he looked down at her, trying a smile.

Maya glanced up at him, sniffling quietly. "Yeah... I guess you're right."

"That's rare, huh?" Lucas said, which nearly made her chuckle. She pulled away from their hug, wiping her eyes with her fingers. He started the car. "Usually I'm just Mr. Hee-Haw Cactus Guy, yeah?"

She nearly snorted, elbowing his side as he drove away from the apartment. "Those are none of my nicknames for you, Hop-along."

He grinned stupidly. "There she is!"

"Shut up." Maya murmured, hiding her own amused grin by biting her lips. "Drive faster, Grandma."

And he did, as fast as he legally could. And safely, too. The hospital was nearly 15 minutes away, and surprisingly, they showed up directly on time. The nurse came into the waiting room and swung by them, taking them back to the room. Which, was cold. Maya clung onto her sweater.

The doctor introduced herself and smiled at the two. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I think so." Maya replied, and sat down on the metal table, the paper cover underneath nearly slipping out from under her.

"Okay.." The woman read a few sheets of paper that were attached to her clipboard, and then looked up at her again. "And your parents know, correct?"

She nodded, holding onto Lucas' hand. "Yeah. They made my appointment."

The doctor smiled kindly, like old ladies do, and lifted up the bottom of Maya's shirt, sending chills down her spine. God, this table was freezing. And the lady's hands were cold too. She almost felt bad that they had to work in such a cold place.

Pressing her hands against Maya's stomach, the younger girl winced. It wasn't comfortable to have someone probe you. "Okay." She nodded to herself, popping open the lid for the ultrasound gel, and squirting a large amount on her stomach. Smoothing it out, the doctor( which Maya remembered was named Dr. Patrall. ), took her probbing device in her hands, and hovered it over Maya's stomach.

"My daughter was about your age, too, with her first." She tried to make small talk, and Maya clung onto Lucas' hand.

"Oh yeah?"

"Mhm. We tried to be there for her, sometimes she didn't want it." Dr. Patrall turned to look at her, and smiled quaintly. "How are you doing?"

"Fine, I guess."

"And he's the father?"

Maya nodded.

"Good man." She said, nodding to herself before returning her vision to the screen, which showed signs of-- what Maya couldn't tell was-- healthy, growing life.

Flipping to another page on her clipboard, Dr. Patrall hums. "Do you want to know the sex?"

Maya looked up at Lucas, who shrugged. It was a big decision, for some reason, to choose whether or not to see the gender of their child. But Maya, being as curious as she was, nodded. She nodded and even smiled.

"Yes," She said. "we want to know."

The doctor's face softened, and she held her hands together. "You have a healthy baby girl."

Maya smiled wider, nearly a grin, as she looked up at her boyfriend, who seemed to return the same joyful look. "Healthy?"

"Very healthy. She's coming along just right."

Maya nearly cried, happiness this time, even when the gel was wiped from her stomach with another chilly piece of paper. Because she knew she hadn't done anything wrong, for once. And deep down, she knew that she loved this child before her even having a name.