Unexpected visitor

Present

Maya sat calmly against a blanket in the middle of a park, legs folded under her, Taylor atop her lap, and Lucas next to her-- which was nice, considering the rarity that it was that Lucas would help with the child. Which... to a limit, Maya understood. He had a different home, he's only 16, and his parents hate the idea of their son with a child. Besides, usually her parents help out and Maya is fine with that.

But today, the lovely day that it is, it's not her parents. It's Taylor's parents, and it's finally a day for them to relax.

"Months late," Lucas started. "and I finally see you in a way that doesn't look like you wanna tear your hair out!"

Maya raised her eyebrows, then nudged him with her knee. That was before she had the idea to set the child loose on him. Craning her neck down, she looked at the little girl. "Tay-- go get daddy."

And Lucas' only response had been his eyebrows being raised before their squealing child flung herself on top of him, him dramatically falling down with his back to the ground, and Taylor playfully slamming her little hands on his chest, bobbing her head along with an imaginary beat with each smack to her father's chest.

Maya chuckled as she watched Lucas and Taylor fondly. It was nice to see them have moments together, especially when they're lovely moments like these. Hearing his pretend grunts of pain seeming to get to a point of actual uncomfort, she picked up her daughter from his stomach. "Oookay, little one, let's not really hurt daddy."

"Uh-oh." She babbled.

"Yeah, uh-oh!" Maya laughed, ruffling her daughter's light little hair.

"Daddy okay?" Taylor's small fingers entwined, and she tilted her small head, a look of concern on her young features.

"Daddy okay. Right?" She turned to look at him and smiled.

"Yeah!" He sat up again, holding out his hands to show his okayness. But, as he was looking at Taylor, something beyond her caught his attention. Dirty blond hair on the figure's head and a face of knowing on its face even though he was sure it hadn't yet seen them.

"Maya.." Lucas said quietly. "Maya, I think we need to go."

She furrowed her eyebrows. Two seconds ago they were fine. Nearing to turn her head, his shoulders stayed firmly on top of hers, stopping her from looking at whatever it was. "Lucas, I don't-- I don't understand."

"We need to go. Get Taylor, bring her to the car, yeah? I'll gather our things and be right behind you."

Her heart pounded in her chest, somewhat in fear, somewhat in annoyance. All Maya wanted was to turn around and see what they were running from. For now, she obliged, supportively picking up Taylor and letting her sit on her side, her legs looping mostly around her mother's waist.

The second that the two stood up, Lucas already had their belongings gathered, and instantly stood behind the two of them, in a way that whoever it was couldn't see them as they left.

"Lucas, whatever it is, it's not that big of a deal." She complained, beginning guiding herself to the exit of the park.

"No, Maya, it's no good." Lucas said quietly, looking over his shoulder. Really, he knew that it wouldn't hurt any of them, or he hoped, but he didn't know what Maya's reaction would be to all this. It seemed like it'd be putting her in an awful situation-- he wanted to avoid it.

As they neared their SUV, Lucas was five steps ahead in unlocking the vehicle. He took Taylor from Maya, and let his girlfriend into the car first, then buckling his daughter into her carseat securely. When he sat in his seat, he took a deep breath and nodded.

"Lucas, now can you explain what you saw?"

"I don't want you freaking out."

"I'm not going to freak out! I'm going to freak out if you don't tell me."

"Today was a good day."

"Lucas..." She sighed with his subject change, looking out the windshield. For a moment, everything was normal, until she met the figure with her eyes, and saw what Lucas had been avoiding.

"K- Kermit..?" She narrowed her eyebrows. No, why would he comw here? How did he know that they were at this park? Her head spun, her heart threatened to break from her chest, and she held her head in her hands, her breath heavying. "Lucas, you-- you're right-- can we just get out of here?"

"That's the plan." Lucas nodded, and skidded away, Maya's hands reaching back to hold onto Taylor's, even though she didn't see any panic anywhere. The young girl just babbled to herself and tipped her head back and forth.

As quickly as they could, the family returned back to the apartment, and gathered themselves up into Maya's room, where Lucas wrapped his arm around the two of them, and his girlfriend clung to him, taking rapid deep breaths.

"H- how did he.. find us?"

"I don't know. He's gone now, Maya, it's over."

She blinked, the tears in her eyes falling down her cheek, before she wiped them away. "I don't want him here, Lucas."

"I know. I don't think he followed us. It'll all be okay." He said, rubbing circles in the small of her back, trying to calm her down. She held onto Taylor and laid her head on his chest, steadying her tearful breaths.

It'll be okay. It'll be okay. It'll be okay.

The door rang.

And that was when Maya started to panic again.

Past chapters coming soon!