Scum Of The Earth

Trigger Warning - I'm sure you all know where this is going, so if you don't feel comfortable then please don't read this chapter and skip to the next one.

----------------------------

Silence falls over the pair of you as the weight of what the Ultimate Manager is implying sinks in. Your breathing becomes shallow as tears start to well up in your eyes. They start to spill over and roll down your cheeks. You are so disconnected from the world at this point that you don't notice Nekomaru pulling you into a tight hug.

"It- It can't be. It can't be true." You manage to wail out, burying your face into his warm, muscular chest. Nekomaru gently pats your head, attempting to comfort you but it does very little. Every so often you hear a faint 'sorry' from the manager drift through the air, but it only makes you cry more.

"Masaru would tell me." You choke out, pulling away from his chest. "I would have noticed!" You shout, directing your anger to the teen in front of you who just takes it with a sombre look. "I would have seen it."

"You're lying!"

"You- You don't know if it's true!"

"I would have noticed..."

"It's... It's my fault..." You can feel a crushing guilt fall onto your shoulders. "I should have noticed..." You stagger over to a nearby wall and lean on it, burying your face into your hands as you attempt to stop your tears.

Nekomaru follows you over, placing his hand on your shoulder and squeezing it lightly. "It's not your fault. I may not even be right." He whispers but you shake your head; knowing that he is. You manage to calm your breathing pattern as sorrow is replaced by anger.

"No. You are. That man; this is something he would do." You clench your fists, trying to control the rage swirling around inside of you. Every fibre in your body is screaming out for you to hurt him and make him suffer, to kill him, for your brother.

"Well, you should speak to Masaru first..." Nekomaru suggests, pulling you to Hope's Peak Elementary where Owari is currently messing around on the school playground. Masaru watches gleefully, a wide smile on his face as Owari shows him a signature move.

Once you are in her eye line, she stops and strolls over to you. Masaru follows closely behind, his blue eyes filled with wonder. "Did you see that sis!?" He exclaims, pointing up at the gymnast.

"I sure did!" You exclaim, forcing a smile onto your face. Fortunately Masaru doesn't seem to notice as he goes running off again. You turn your attention to Owari who has a concerned look on her face, making it clear just how forced your smile really looked. "Thank you for looking after him Owari-san!" You bow down slightly, trying to remain as calm as possible.

When you straighten up you feel Owari wrap her arms around you, petting your head as though you're a hurt little puppy. "Your brother really loves ya." She informs you, not seeing the bitter smile that crosses your face. "And he's a great kid so, if ya ever need a babysitter, I would be willing to help!" She exclaims, sticking her thumb up whilst sending you a wide grin.

"That would be great." You try to sound excited and upbeat, but it falls a little flat. Owari seems to take this as a sign to leave, Nekomaru following after her but not before giving you a sympathetic smile.

Turning around, you see your little brother sat on one of the swings, his feet dragging limply on the floor. You walk over and take the swing next to him, not sure of how to break the heavy silence that has fallen between the two of you. "Nekomaru told me you hurt your arm yesterday morning. Want me to have a look?"