Too Kind For Your Own Good

Waking up early on a Saturday morning isn't exactly what you wanted to do at the weekend. Despite this a surge of excitement runs through you as you look forward to spending a day with Hajime. Quickly you get changed, throwing on some casual clothes and covering the remainder of the bruise that still stains your face with some make-up.

Once satisfied, you shake your brother awake; ignoring all of his complaints about it being too early. The quicker you are out of the house the better. You still haven't had the pleasure of seeing your step-father since Kuzuryuu dealt with him, but it's only a matter of time and you'd rather not have him putting a dampener on your spirits.

Unfortunately whilst Masaru is getting changed you hear the front door slam shut as the sound of feet scraping across the wooden floor fills the hallway. Inwardly you start to panic, unsure of how to face the man and what to do if your brother gets caught up in the inevitable fall out.

To your surprise, your step-father stops in his tracks and leans against one of the shut doors. Your attention is immediately drawn to a swollen lump on his mouth where you assume his tooth used to be. The next thing you notice are the dark patches under his eyes that suggest he hasn't slept for a long time; that and the fact that he can barely stand.

"What are you looking at!?" He snaps, causing you to jump out of your skin. "Admiring your handiwork?" He adds, sending you a glare that could make even the toughest soldier shiver. You desperately want to run away, but instead you hold your ground and refuse to give in.

Suddenly his demeanour changes, almost at the snap of someone's finger as he moves a little closer. This causes the faint smell of alcohol to worm its way to you. You shouldn't really be surprised by this; he does spend most of his time getting completely wasted. "I have to admit; I'm impressed..." He muses, causing you to become very confused.

"Using people to meet your goals... You don't cease to surprise me." He explains, looking disgustingly proud of himself, almost as though he is the one who is in control of your recent actions. His hand reaches to the necklace around your neck, his greasy fingers brushing over the smooth metal. Instinctively you slap his hand away; not wanting him to get any closer. "What did you do to get this?" He slurs, clearly about to suggest something.

"A friend made it." You bluntly reply, crossing your arms over your chest as you lean away from him. "And it's none of your business as to why." The last thing you want to do is tell him about Katsuo; they would probably end up being in cahoots, or something like that.

The man puts his hands up in a surrendering motion before he shambles off to his room; probably to sleep his slightly drunken stupor away. This leaves you and Masaru to leave the house in relative ease, despite the fact that Masaru is still half asleep as you drag him to the school building.

Luckily both Akane and Hajime are waiting for you outside the building. Neither is talking, in fact its like they haven't even registered each other's existence. It makes you wonder how big the gap between ultimates and reserve course really is.

Your younger brother ends up breaking the silence as he barrels into Akane's side whilst laughing. The gymnast looks equally happy as she laughs it off. "Come pick him up any time before 6!" She shouts, walking off into the school building where an adult seems to be waiting for her.

Once they are out of sight, you turn your attention to Hajime who is waiting patiently for you. "So where do you want to go (L/N)-san?" The boy asks, starting to walk towards the city. In all honesty, you hadn't thought that far ahead and so decide to let Hajime choose.

He looked a little hesitant, but ended up choosing a local café which apparently makes some of the most delicious tea in the country. You happily walk by his side, talking to him about school and his home life; trying to learn as much about your new friend as possible. It may seem a bit desperate, but you don't really get to see him at school and who knows when you would meet up again. Hajime doesn't make any complaints either, happily answering your onslaught of questions whilst asking the odd one in return.