Gotta Catch 'em All

You don't see your step-father over night. It's almost as though he has disappeared from the face of the earth. It almost makes you wonder what on earth Kuzuryuu did, but you know that it's probably for the best that you don't find out. Just thinking about the tooth was enough to send a shiver down your spine.

Nagito picks you and your brother up again in the morning, not letting you travel to far away from him as he keeps a close eye on his surroundings; as if expecting an attacker. You have a sneaking suspicion that he has figured out the cause of your recent strange behaviour, but you don't want to press it too much. If he doesn't know then it would only cause him great concern, and Nagito's way of handling difficult situations isn't exactly the greatest.

Once at school, you and Nagito separate like normal; heading off to do your own things. Sometimes you wonder what he actually does in his free time, but you doubt even the luckster really knows. You brush off this trail of thought, choosing to focus on a new task. If you are meeting up with Hajime, then you need to find someone to babysit your little brother and the perfect candidate is currently running around this school... somewhere.

"First step..." You mumble, reading off of a scrawled note that Nidai had given you earlier in the week, saying that this would be the easiest way to grab the gymnast's attention. "Get meat, and lots of it!" You find yourself strolling into the currently empty canteen, keeping your eyes peeled for the resident chef; not really wanting to run into him this early in the morning.

Thankfully for you, one of the regular staff members informs you that Teruteru went out back to check out a recent delivery. This means that you manage to acquire the necessary food without having to go through a long, innuendo filled conversation. You look down at the next step that Nekomaru had given.

Cook it on an open flame.

"Well that sounds easy..." You mumble, feeling as though you are taking part in one of the ridiculous side-quests in an RPG. Those endless lists of tasks that seem to go nowhere but end up being the only way to obtain some sort of legendary weapon. Not that Akane is a weapon... more like some superhuman creature.

It takes you a short while to set up the trap, making sure that you are in the optimum position for the gentle breeze to carry the smell throughout the school. You then turn your attention back to the scrap of paper, worried by the final instruction.

Be careful.

Slowly, a delicious smell fills the air as the meat begins to cook. After a few minutes pass you begin to doubt Nekomaru's advice as there is no sign of the Ultimate Gymnast. You let out a heavy sigh, wondering if there is a certain amount of time you need to wait before she will appear. You collapse to the floor, crossing your legs as you rest your elbows on your knees; content with watching the flames lick at the meat.

You are so absorbed with what you are watching that the world around you fades out, leaving you oblivious to anything that conspires around you. This includes; five squirrels fighting over a single piece of discarded fruit which would have turned into a bloodbath if not for Tanaka's timely intervention, a security guard falling into a bin, a student then repeating this to their mates and subsequently getting stuck, and a small boy being chased by a murder of crows.

All of this flies past you until a hand quickly snatches at the meat you find yourself guarding. Without much further thought you grab it, preventing the thief from escaping.

"C'mon (Y/N)-chan... I'm really hungry!" The thief exclaims, pulling their hand free. Looking up, you meet a pair of crazed eyes, and smile in relief that you hadn't wasted half of your morning for no reason. Quickly you stand up and brush yourself down to remove the dry dirt from your school uniform.