Chapter 12: Steps

Reader's POV

I shook slightly, my eyes flicking rapidly across the room. It was the middle of the night, and having woken up only hours before made me quite wobbly. Even with my healing, I could still barely stand.

I flicked my eyes towards Cisco, who sat at the edge of my bed. His hair fell down across his face as he rung his hands. He looked so nervous, yet so sure. I attempted to pull myself towards him, but any attempts to move were fetal. I was still too weak.

"Why all the sudden did you say you love me? When did this 'realization' happen?" Cisco sounded far more cold, like he hit a discovery he didn't like.

"What?" Was all that I was able to produce before his face was a mere foot from mine. 

"Just as you were put under by Eclipse, you were round and sure of your love for Asher. You were ready to die for him J. Why me all of the sudden? What is running through your head?"

His eyes were glazed with doubt, and his lip quivered as if he was fearing the answer he didn't want.

"You're scared of my response, aren't you? You're afraid I'll change my mind. That I'll see the error of my ways." I responded, locking my steady gaze of his quivering eyes.

"Yes."

"Then stop being afraid. I heard every word you said. You have never had such a sure tone before. I knew that you were completely honest." I moved one of my hands atop his own. I smiled, leaning my head against his, our noses barely brushing against each other.

"Even before then, we had something. Like it was written in the stars. Every interaction we've ever had, every word we've ever said. The late nights, the battles. You being my eyes and ears. Me, your conscience. We are each other's catalysts, guiding our actions. The day we meet, a match was lit. The spark ignited. It was only a matter of time before we collided."

I felt Cisco tighten is hand around mine, forming and iron grip. I could feel his pulse through his hand, it thudding violently against his blood vessels. A soft hum droned from his throat, filing the space with a melody that only love story could possess. 

"I will always find you, like it's written in the stars. We can run but we cant hide. Try."

I pulled closer to him, letting his vice wrap around me, lulling me into a dreamless rest. 

------

I awoke the next morning, wrapped in his arms. I blinked the darkness from my eyes, his appendages keeping me from moving too far in case Wells decided to return. 

I attempted to sit up, alerting the man next to me instantly. I watched him stir, his dark eyes snapping wide. His hair was a mess atop his head, moving and bending in ways that could only be described as medusa like. He was frantic for a few seconds, flinging his body upwards in an attempt at half asleep defense. 

"I just woke up. We're okay." I whispered, placing my hand on his shoulder. He flicked his head to the side, his panic dwindling slowly. I let a soft smile cross my lips, showing no fear in my eyes in an attempt to calm him. He moved his hand slowly to grip my own, trying as if I was a ghost.

I met his hand half way, clasping it reassuringly. I nodded once, solidifying my existence in his mind. He smiled in return, turning his body and hopping off of the gurney. He kept his hand  in my own, before walking around the gurney slowly. He came to my side, taking my other hand in his.

"If Electra is ever to return, she needs to walk again."

I was confused about what he was trying to do, but soon understood. He was trying to prepare me for when Wells returned. I hesitantly glanced down at his hand, before tightening my grip. I swung my legs slowly, there usual spark nearly non-existent. Cisco smiled warmly down at me in encouragement.

"I'm right here, take as long as you need."

I nodded, slowly pushing my body until my toes ghosted the tile floor. It was cold, foreign from the gurney and warm blankets I had been confined to for months. I took the leap, nearly collapsing as I put weight on my feet. They gave out instantly, prompting Cisco to expertly catch me in his arms. 

"Alright Princess, might wanna go a bit slower."

"Since when is that supposed to be in a speedsters vocabulary?" I teased, letting a soft chuckle escape my lungs.

Cisco rose me up to my full stance, but still held me up. I re-positioned my feet, slowly putting more pressure on each of them.

"Ready to take a step?" He asked gently, his accepting smile never wavering. I nodded, grinning up at him. 

He slowly stepped away, putting a good two feet distance between our bodies. I let out a breath, glancing up at his eyes. They held so much pride, his grin rising. I nodded once more, before moving.

My legs were shaky, but I was successfully able to take two small steps towards him.

"That's it Princess!" He cheered, stepping back again. Something in the small pet name sparked my energy, and I found the bravery to take the steps a bit faster. With success too.

Soon enough, it appeared as if we were doing an odd waltz across the cortex, Cisco holding me up and guiding my movements as the strength in my legs grew exponentially. Not to mention Cisco had turned on music to make this process a bit more comfortable. 

I suddenly let go of one of his hands, grinning as I side stepped past him into a pose. He giggled, pulling me rapidly close to his body once more. 

"May I have this dance your majesty?" 

"Why of course." I giggled, taking Cisco's hands in my own. His hands were far larger, calloused, used to build and create. Mine were small, dainty, used for writing and typing. Nimble, but they fit together.

I would say that I fell over my feet only a few times, but that would be an utter lie. I tripped over his feet and my own, falling every few turns. Cisco didn't seem to mind, laughing with each stumble I took. The laughs drowned out my worries, giving me an escape. Cisco's voice flooded my mind, locking out every worry or care for the moment. 

I was in my own palace, my prince beside me. Helping me through what has happened. My safety net. 

"You're awake."

And my world tumbles back to reality.

And scene. I really liked this chapter, it shows how much trust Jammie puts in Cisco. This is almost half way through the story, with the end of season 1 being the middle. Thank you all for following this silly self service fic with such enthusiasm. It's great to see Electra have such a keen and thoughtful following. Thank you all so much for reading, and I will see you all in the next chapter! Phonix Out!~