3

Parker and I dance the night away and he offers to take me home, but I insist on walking. I'm not all that intoxicated, just feeling a buzz. My feet walk along the pavement and I rush up to my building, but stop when I hear a fight.

"You think you can just walk into me and have my shit go everywhere?! Huh?" I hear, my head peering around the corner. I see a man shoved against the wall and another pushing him into place.

"Get your fucking words out of your mouth, you shit coward," the man yells again, my eyes then realizing it's Harry. My lips part and I gasp, catching the attention of both the men.

"Pretty girl, you're in the wrong place. Better leave before I whoop the shit out of him," he says, my eyes looking at Harry. He's horrified; trying to get me to help him.

I take a step closer to them and I call the guy out, his anger growing towards me. "Little bitch. You should know better," he says, shoving Harry into the wall before advancing towards me. Men never really scared me, and I take a stand.

"You should learn to be fucking nice," I say, his eyes rolling. So I take my step, kicking between his legs, and hitting his head with my elbow. Then I grab Harry's hand and run the opposite direction, his hand tight on mine. We stop and I look up and him, his breathing mixed with nerves. So I reach and hug him, his arms tight around me. I know from common knowledge that panic attacks usually need constriction to know their breathing.

"It's okay. He's gone," I assure him, his arms only tightening.

"Carly, he hit me," he rushes, my hands spreading out to hold him closer.

"I'm so sorry. You're okay," I say, his hands gripping the material of my shirt. His already nervous behavior must be heightened right now, my instincts to nurture coming in. I want to make sure he's okay.

"Do you want to come to my dorm? Just to relax before going back to your place?" I ask, not knowing if he's comfortable with that. But he nods quickly and I take his hand, bringing him into my dorm. Jackie's at her boyfriend's and I thank God, letting Harry get comfortable on my bed.

"Do you want ice? Does it hurt?" I ask, sitting beside him. He's quiet and it's starting to make me worried he's uncomfortable.

"It...scared me. I'm sorry," he says, my hand grabbing his before he starts ripping all his nails out from picking them.

"Harry, you have nothing to worry about. I'm not one to judge," I tell him, his hand gripping mine. He closes his eyes and leans his head against the wall, my eyes keeping close watch on him incase he has a trigger.

"I get so nervous. It, um, makes me anti-social. You're the first person...you know, to talk to me since I came here," he whispers, my shock clearly evident. He just sighs and I keep his hand between mine.

"No one has ever talked to you?" I reiterate, his head only giving a shy nod. The thought makes me upset and I look back up at him, his lower lip between his teeth.

"P-People freak me out. I can't...be around them without fearing their judgment," he goes on to explain, his eyes closing. I can tell he's struggling and I hope I'm not being scary to him.

"You know I won't judge you or hurt you. I just want to be a friend. You might need one," I smile, making him shyly smile back. His little dimples appear and I reach up and poke his right dimple, getting him to broaden his smile.

"Thanks. It...It means a lot," he tells me, my head nodding. I get up and he follows, but grabs my arm.

"See you tomorrow?" he asks, my head nodding.

"Definitely. But first," I say, reaching and grabbing a sheet of paper. I write my number down and hand it to him, his eyes looking it over before looking at me.

"I will happily talk to you whenever you need," I tell him, his lips parting.

"R-Really?" he asks, my head nodding. He seems to need reassurance and reiteration, needing to know for sure.

"Of course. I'll be your friend. No worries," I tell him, his smile growing. His teeth show and I smile at how happy he looks. Just saying I'll be his friend has made him incredibly happy.

"Thanks, Carly. That's...cool," he says, my lips curving. I nod and he turns to go out the door, waving before walking out. I collapse on the bed and don't bother changing before falling asleep.

The morning is rough, dealing with hunger and a headache. I walk to lecture and wait in the back, leaning my head on my hand as I close my eyes. But I'm pulled out of my thoughts when rustling of papers sounds beside me. My eyes open and I see Harry fiddling with his bag, trying to find something. Then he glances and me and freezes when he catches me watching him, my lips curving.

"You woke me up," I say, his lips parting.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I-I..." he goes but I cut him off as I laugh, his cheeks flushing.

"I'm joking, Harry. Lighten up a bit," I tease, his lips releasing a deep breath. He settles into the chair beside me and the professor starts his lecture, my hand typing notes on my laptop. Harry seems more relaxed today and I wonder if it's because of last night. I feel as though the comfort he found with me was a breaking point. He's okay with me now.

Class finishes up and I turn the chair to look at Harry, his head turning to look at him. His hair is contained in the beanie again and I roll towards him, his eyes looking at me.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask, his head nodding slowly. And the hesitancy is back.

"Do you feel comfortable around me yet?" I ask, his eyes widening as he looks at me.

"W-What do you mean?" he rushes, my hand setting on his wrist. He looks at my hand and I watch his breathing increase, my thumb then brushing his skin.

"Why do you always freak out?" I whisper, curious about my new friend. I just want to understand him better.

I watch him pull his arm away and he looks startled, my eyebrows furrowing. "Don't be scared of me," I whisper, his eyes looking back into mine.

"I-I'm never comfortable...and I always freak out," he tells me, my eyes glancing at how fast his chest is moving. His breathing erratic and I lean closer to him, his eyes closing.

"Too close," he starts to repeat. He shoves himself out of his chair and he grabs his bag, but I grab his arm again.

"I'm your friend, Harry. Don't worry," I say quickly. He stops, my body moving to his level. We're not all that different in height, the two of us fairly tall people. If I were to wear heels, surely we'd be eye level.

"After last night...you showed me friends. W-What having friends would be like. It's a lot to take in," he says, my eyes looking at him with sadness. Realization strikes me and I feel horrible, never realizing he must have had bullies his entire life.

"Harry, the last thing I want is to scare you. I'm your friend; someone you can come to with whatever. I'm a great secret keeper," I tell him, and I receive a gentle smile.

"I don't know you yet," he says, my shoulders shrugging.

"And I know nothing about you," I say, smiling up at him. He grabs my hand and I find the gesture cute, knowing he's starting to warm up to me.

"Then we'll get food and talk."

~~~
Please vote comment and share!
Much Love! <3 xoxo