Chapter 3: Secrets and Lies

Julie took a moment to answer, since she had trouble focusing on his actual words. She gripped the bedspread again to keep from trembling. He should have a warning or something before he spoke. How long was anything or anyone that reminded her of Rory going to affect her like this? What if it didn't get better? What if it got worse? Her mouth went dry. She couldn't live like this.

"Yes, I'm connected to them both, if that's what you call the feelings I get when we touch."

Muirgen and Nerida frowned. Kailen and Marisol leaned forward. Now Marisol was examining her as closely as Kailen. She shivered.

"Ah, well. That may present some issues." Kailen said after a minute. "But very interesting. I wonder...But you know there hasn't been one in so long. Not that there ever were many..." He continued to stare at her, tapping a finger to his chin.

She shrank back under his intense scrutiny, unable to shake the feeling she was some kind of bug he might pin to a board to study better.

"Did you know you were connected with Luke when you came here?" Muirgen spit the words out.

Julie spoke again, when everyone's gazes returned to her. "No. He took away the memory somehow. I wish I knew why he did that. It would have been a bit easier if I'd known what was going on."

She rubbed her head, trying to sort out the reasons swirling around in her mind. What had he said that night outside the hotel after he'd rescued her? He'd said it was to give her time. Time to be young and be with her family. Time to forget. But forget what—the Fey, her family, or herself?

The men with guns he'd saved her from?

Were those men still after her? She could be in danger right now.

Maybe it was better Luke had wiped her memories, because now that she had time to think about those men, she was seriously freaked out. She stared down at her bed. She was tired and just wanted everyone to leave her alone.

Julie folded her arms, fighting being scared. Angry was much better. "Why do I have this weird connection with two guys I'm not even sure I like? Can it be removed, taken away or something?"

Lir shook his head, reaching out a hand to pat her. She frowned at him, and he drew back. "No, honey, it's permanent. People have denied it in the past for different reasons, but they usually live apart from each other. It would be unbearable to live in the same community with someone you're connected to and not be with them. It can't be done."

Muirgen stared at her as if trying to figure out if she was telling the truth or not. "You want to break the connection with Rory or Luke?"

She sighed. How hard was it for them to get that this was strange? People didn't just instantly fall in love and change their lives for each other.

"Look, do you think I want all this? My family has kept this from me. Rory claims he has feelings for me, but then he was also seeing Melissande. And it's not like we've had a chance to talk too much since I've been asleep most of the time. He just assumes everything is okay now because he chose me. Well, what about my choice?"

Muirgen crossed his arms, frowning at her, but he nodded. "I can understand that. This had been a bit harder on you than most. You didn't grow up here, and it looks like your abilities were stifled a bit from showing for some reason." He cleared his throat. "Melissande was the choice of his family, who he did not want to let down. Rory is a good boy at heart. It was brave of him to try to give up a connection to please us. Now he can feel free to follow his heart. His family would be happy to include you."