Chapter 14: Midnight Guest

Julie turned over in her bed, restless after such a weird day. She opened her eyes. A man sat in her chair across the room. She blinked to make sure her eyes weren't tricking her, and opened her mouth to scream as he got up and walked toward her. Then she closed it with a click. Even in the dark, she could recognize his walk.

Rory.

He wouldn't hurt her, she thought, but he wasn't exactly welcome here either.

She took a deep breath. She didn't need this now. "Rory, what are you doing here? You know you're not supposed to be here."

He sat on the floor next to the bed. She drew in another deep breath, letting the fresh salty smell of him give her tingles. She couldn't help it. It had been weeks now, and her body craved this contact. But her mind didn't want it. She clenched her hands under the covers so she didn't pull him into the bed with her.

Rory reminded her of the ocean while Luke reminded her of a forest. She wondered what she smelled like to them. She blushed, glad that it was dark in here.

"How can I stay away when my girl is hurt?" He touched her face where she was cut earlier in the day. She closed her eyes, her whole body leaning toward him.

No. Julie pulled back.

"I'm not your girl anymore," she whispered.

Rory stared into her eyes, his face darkening. "I heard that Luke was with you today."

This was hard. She sighed, knowing that she didn't need to justify herself, but couldn't help it. This was Rory. Whether she wanted to or not, she still had feelings for him. She wasn't quite ready to burn the bridge—not yet. She just wanted to let it smolder a bit.

"I didn't meet Luke there. I was waiting for Kara, and he happened to come in."

"Oh." He relaxed, running a hand through his hair. "Sorry, I don't mean to sound all crazy, but after what I heard—"

"What did you hear?" She stared at him. "Ike was with us the whole time, and we only sat and talked."

He waved that away. "No, after the accident. Luke said it wasn't safe for you here and if we couldn't keep you safe, he was taking you to the Forest Tribe."

Julie gasped. Crap. His connection gave him some kind of right to do this. But would he? What would happen then? She narrowed her eyes. "If he tries to take me away from here, it will be kicking and screaming. I'll fight him with everything I have."

"Don't worry." Rory squeezed her hand. "Even if he did, I would come after you. Me and my family and our allies would fight to get you back."

Julie gulped. That wasn't what she had meant. Just that she would make the decision to leave, not someone else. "I wouldn't want anyone to fight for me. It's not worth it."

"You're worth so much, Jules," He turned her hand over and played with her fingertips. She shivered. Tingles traveled up her fingertips, tickling her. She bit her lip. It felt so good.

"No, I mean I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt over me." She managed to form the words. Barely.

"No one is taking you from me. We will work out this stuff between us and be back to what we once were." He looked at her hopefully. "Don't you want that too?"

Julie stared in his grey eyes, so tempted to brush away the little lock of brown hair that threatened to hide one of them from her view—then pull him in for a kiss like they used to have. She missed him.