Chapter 11: Meeting at the Gym

Over the next few weeks, Julie worked with Muriel in the gymnasium every morning. Her great–grandmother was more concerned about control rather than exploring everything she could do, and she was gaining a bit more control over her abilities every day.

This was frustrating. Julie wanted to see what she could do. Muriel sensed this and kept telling her to be patient. She would have time to explore everything once she knew how to control herself, and then she wouldn't risk hurting anyone.

It all came easily to her, and she could tell that Muriel was almost trying to slow them down at times. But the power, the beauty of pulling on energy—it was the first wonderful thing she had known since she found out she was a Fey. It gave her hope that she could gain some control back on other things. Plus, the faster she learned to control this, the sooner she could see Mandy and Darcy. School was starting soon, so there was a deadline.

She started hanging out at the beach with Kara every day. She forced Kara to do lots of meditation and concentration exercises. Maybe her friend could break through her block if she could control her emotions.

Rory and Luke left her alone. Jamie told her that they were ordered by the council to stay away while she was still learning control with Muriel. She knew it was more their promise to her than the council that kept them away. They were proving to her that they could respect and listen to her.

Julie was happy about the reprieve. She didn't want to see them. At least that's what she kept telling herself.

"So the elders want to talk?" She muttered over breakfast one morning.

"Yeah, Dad said to tell you they would be there with you and Muriel today." Jamie shrugged. "Do you want me to come too?"

She frowned down at her bowl of fruit. "No. Muriel will be there. It will be okay."

"All right. Hey, do you want to play that new video game later?"

"I can't. I told Kara I would meet her for coffee. It's raining today, so we can't go to the beach. I hope I don't run into anyone. I couldn't make up another excuse since we used to hang out at the coffee house all the time. She's starting to wonder."

"I told you so."

"Shut up, Lamie." She stuck her tongue out at him.

She got to the gymnasium early. She wasn't surprised to find Muriel there too. Julie sat on one of the chairs that had been pulled over to the bleachers. Depending on where the elders sat, it might feel a bit like an inquisition.

"So your dad told you?"

"Jamie did. What do they want?"

"I think they want to see your progress." Muriel frowned. "I should have already said you were fine, but I was trying to give you more time."

Julie smiled at her, reading between the lines. Muriel was helping her stay away from Rory and Luke..."Thanks. Do you think you can get me more time? Maybe until school starts. You said I was a fast learner. They don't need to know that."

Muriel winked at her. "I think I can do that, if you're sure. You know I think you need to get over this, but I'll do what I can. The elders don't need to know we're only working on your dancing now, do they?"

"You're the best. I wish..." She let the words trail off. She wished they had known each other since she was little. That things had turned out differently.

"I know, dear." Muriel blinked and hugged her.

The door opened. The elders came in and took up places on the bleachers. Rory's grandfather, Muirgan, gave her a small smile. Her heart thudded. He had dimples similar to Rory's. Kailen's gaze travelled over her multiple times. She tried not to stare since he made her nervous. Nerida nodded at Muriel but didn't meet Julie's eyes.