Chapter 6: Lamie Blabs

There was a quiet knock on the door. "I know you don't want to talk to me or your father. But, I need to come in and just make sure you're okay."

Stupid Jamie. He had to tell them, didn't he? Julie didn't respond. Instead she just turned over in her bed, away from the door.

"Okay," Andromeda said quietly, inside the room now. The door closed softly behind her. "I know you're mad at us. I understand that. It's okay. I'm not here to convince you to forgive us. I'm here to make sure you know more about what is going on."

Julie pulled the pillow over her head. She didn't want to hear anything. Andromeda had helped Lir lie to her. She knew her mother didn't have a lot of choice in moving here, but she could have been honest with her. She should have broken the rules to tell her.

Yet she didn't. She fell right back into being just an overlooked Fine Arts school reject that followed the rules. She was so disappointed in her mother. Andromeda seemed so strong and sure of herself in Atlanta. Here she was a shadow, afraid of people she shouldn't be afraid of and willing to follow bad rules.

"We have to talk about this." A minute later the side of the bed dipped down as she took a seat. "I'm sorry, honey. Your dad and I are trying to respect your space right now, but I need you to understand the people around here better."

Julie snorted. If respecting her space meant coming in here uninvited, then it was the same game they had been playing for months.

"I want to protect you before you become too involved with them—possibly prevent anything like today happening again."

Did they know who had done it? Was it the men from the hotel? Were they going to do anything about it? Did people even get arrested for anything around here?

"Please look at me. I need to talk to you about this, or I wouldn't be in here."

Julie stared at the wall beside her bed. Was her mother trying to be honest with her? She wasn't sure she felt like giving her a second chance. Her stomach knotted, as she remembered the last few months as her mom stayed in the house more and more, barely showering.

Andromeda may have been a part of lying to her, but how much choice did she have? Julie hesitated for a minute longer then turned over, staring at the ceiling and crossing her arms over her chest. She still didn't look at her mom, but she could see her out of the corner of her eyes.

"Thank you, honey." She smiled weakly and blinked a few times.

Julie drew in a breath. "I don't want much to do with any of them. So no worries there."

Her mother shook her head, looking sad. She picked up one of Julie's hands, frowning at the new pink skin that had already healed over the raw fingertips. Fey healing worked fast. "It's not up to you. They have decided to become involved with you, because of what you can do. You're special."

Andromeda smiled at her and rubbed the hair back from her face. Julie held her breath, not sure if she wanted to push her hand away or savor the moment.

"I have always known you're special, of course. I just didn't know you were special in this way. I'm sorry, but this is almost worse than having no abilities. It will limit the choices you already have. You're now something to be guarded, protected, and for some, coveted."

Julie laughed. "What? Why do I have fewer choices now? Aren't I one of the elite or something?"

"Yes, but unfortunately that just puts you on everyone's radar." Andromeda looked away. "Before we could have stayed here a year for your brother. Then we could all move to New York. That was the plan, unless Jamie wanted to stay behind. We knew we were delaying you by a year, but we didn't have a choice."