Chapter 23: The Blame Game

"You're sure you didn't cause it?" Muriel had found her at the school later that day. Julie was sure that the council had sent her because they were worried about her.

"I don't know what happened. At the library or my first day at school with the bathroom. Or the beach or coffeehouse before that. I don't know why stuff keeps happening around me." She put her head down. "It stopped for a while after I started at school. I'm not sure why it happened again."

"If it isn't you, can you think who might be doing this?"

Julie shook her head. "Jamie accused Rory, but I don't see him doing that. Jamie also blamed Kara for a little bit, but after the school thing, he can't blame her anymore. She wasn't anywhere around when that happened."

"It isn't Kara. I know that. She is a dud. No power there at all." Julie winced. Her great–grandmother looked out the window in the small office they were meeting in. "Rory—that might be possible, but what could he gain by scaring you?"

"I don't know. I don't ever know what is going on around here. Everyone seems to have their own motives," she almost yelled.

"Calm down. If someone is doing this to rattle you, you need to be calm. The council might use it as an excuse to keep you here longer." Muriel looked up sharply at her.

"Oh, surely not. Why? I'm already learning everything I need to know."

"There's something you don't know."

"Great, what now?" Shocking—another secret.

"Rory and Luke both got a bit of a boost in their abilities fighting around you."

"I know," Julie said bitterly. Now that she thought about it, no wonder they wanted them both hanging around her at the school. It helped it explain why the elders put up with so much between Rory and Luke. And her. She was some kind of experiment to them. Were they any better than the men who'd kidnapped her?

"Yeah. Exactly. So if someone wanted them to fight over you, they might cause situations where you might get banged up a little but not hurt so they both rush over and possibly fight." Muriel tapped her finger to her chin. She shook her head. "No, I don't think the council would do that. Not with the Forest Tribe involved. If Luke was part of the island community, I wouldn't put it past them. Besides, putting them both in the same school with you pretty much means there will be a fight at some point."

"What has changed about them already?"

Muriel shrugged. "I don't know exactly what happened, just that they have. You could ask Luke next time you see him. It shouldn't be a secret."

Julie nodded. She would ask him with her next lesson. Luke would be honest with her. He practically tripped over himself any time she asked for the truth from him in an effort to win her trust. Unfortunately, it was working.

The next day, Ike sat in the back reading a book as usual.

"So before we start," she asked Luke. "I want to know what kind of boost you got fighting with Rory."

He swallowed. "Who told you about that?"

"Muriel."

"Oh." He looked away. "I can read minds a bit now."

"What?" If he read her mind right now, they might end up kissing. He looked so cute with that curl over his forehead. He looked back at her, raising an eyebrow. Julie felt like covering her head.

Shit.

Luke could read her mind. He was reading it right now, which meant he had to know that he was getting to her. She watched a small smile play around his mouth.