Chapter 25: Fall Gathering

Her dad's words sat heavy with her as another week went by. Rory and Luke were still not allowed back at the school. She almost missed them—Rory trying to catch her alone and making her heart break in two every time he succeeded, Luke teaching her but not touching her. It made her ache. Was he doing this on purpose, waiting for her to crack? Should she crack?

Her mom smiled at her in the mirror. "You look beautiful, honey. Purple is your color. It brings out the color of your hair and eyes. It's funny how my dark blue and your dad's grey combined to make such an unusual color."

Julie smiled at her and shrugged. It felt good to smile at her for once, even if their relationship was not back where it was in Atlanta. It probably would never be.

She liked the violet dress. It puffed out a bit at her waist, flowing down to her ankles, and she felt like a princess in it. Her mom was right—her eyes reflected back a dark violet, and her red hair popped.

Her smile faded a bit as she remembered the last dance she went to, also wearing a purple dress. The last school dance in Atlanta was the first time that the men in black suits had made their presence known to her, chasing her with guns through the back hallways of the hotel. It was also the night Luke took away her memories.

"You look nice too, Mom." Julie smiled at the simple black dress, her auburn hair, and shining eyes.

Julie leaned over to hug her for the first time in forever. Her mom didn't push her away, afraid she would mess up her dress. Instead she pulled her closer.

"I've missed us." Her mom's voice caught. "I wish things could have been different."

Julie chest constricted, and she started blinking. "I know."

There was a knock on the door, and Jamie barged in, he rolled his eyes. "Are we leaving, or are you guys going to stand around in here hugging all night?" But he looked happy that he caught the moment and gave their mom a squeeze as they walked out in front of Julie.

"Are you going to tell me now who your mystery date is?" Julie asked as they made their way to the car.

Jamie shook his head, his smile turning to a frown. "No. You'll know soon enough."

"I'm starting to wonder if you have a date." She stared at him. He was he acting weird.

"Yeah, I'm not a loser like you. I have one."

Julie rolled her eyes. As if she couldn't have two dates if she wanted them. Maybe that would have been better than refusing them both.

She smirked. How would the council have felt if she walked in with them both, one on each arm? No, that would be too much for her to handle.

They got to the big, brick building in town. Julie sighed. Just beyond the plain front doors outside, the most beautiful set of hand carved and stained glass doors in the lobby led into a giant indoor garden and gathering place for the town. The glass roof was held up by soaring white columns and lacy looking archways. Below, the center area where people could sit or dance in the large floor was surrounded by groves of full–grown trees, draped in flowering vines, and flowering shrubs. The groves disguised more intimate places for groups of couples to hang out.

She rubbed her arms nervously. Rory would try to pull her to one of those places as soon as possible. And she might cave, surrounded by all the beauty. Or Luke might. She shivered, thinking of what she might do if he actually touched her hand.

They entered through the plain lobby, along with lots of other people dressed nicely for the gathering. Apparently the mayor always gave a speech, but it was more of an excuse for a big town party than anything else.