Chapter 8: Unwelcome Guest

Her father knocked on the door. "I have to come in."

Julie put down the book she was reading, crossed her arms, and looked straight ahead. She wasn't sure she would ever forgive him. But she couldn't keep him out of her room. She was stuck here on this island until she figured her abilities out.

It wasn't like she wanted to go around frying people all the time. She might kind of stand out if she shot lightning from her fingertips while dancing.

But I bet I would have an audience. She smiled.

"I'm glad to see you smiling."

She immediately frowned but didn't look at him.

"I know you don't want to talk to me, and I understand. Hopefully one day you'll forgive me."

Julie's eyes welled up. She turned her face away so he didn't see any tears.

"Well, I'm here because Luke and Rory are worried. They found out about the accidents and insist on talking to you."

Her shoulders stiffened.

"I know you don't want to, so I told them no." He sighed. "But they insisted, and since they're both connected to you, I can't keep them away forever. They agreed for now that they can send someone they trust to check on you. But you'll have to agree to see the boys soon. I can only say no for a little while before it won't be my choice. You don't have to choose anyone, but everyone has to feel like you're giving them a chance."

Julie crossed her arms. So she couldn't even hide in her room without the world coming in. She'd be forced to start seeing them both soon. How soon before everyone was forcing her to choose?

She clutched her blanket, blinking back angry tears.

What about her dreams? When would any of this be about her?

"So Rory's parents will be coming tomorrow. And Luke's friend, that wizard, and one of the Forest Fey, I think an uncle or something, will be coming too." Lir paused. "The Forest Fey delegation is already here. The whole island is tense. Everyone is divided. I may lose some of the ability to say no if the council thinks I'm being too strict."

Julie turned to him and raised an eyebrow. Like she cared. He smiled at her and shook his head. She guessed that even a raised eyebrow was speaking to him in a way.

"Yeah, I know. I feel the same way. But we need to play along for a while."

Lir pulled up her desk chair. He had to scrunch his knees up, not fitting in with the white furniture and purple surroundings. Her mom had crept in and painted over the yellow with a tan and gotten Jamie to put up some of her old posters around the room. It felt more like the room she'd had in Atlanta, the colorful dance posters popping out against the plain background.

"Your mom and I can't be there with you. You already know about my past with Marian. That would make it awkward if it was Rory alone, but with Luke too...Well, your mom and I can't look like we are influencing you one way or another—"

Julie couldn't hold in the snort that interrupted his words. Darn it. She didn't want him to know how much she was hanging on every word.

"Yes, I'm aware of how little you ever listened to us. But we need to make sure no one believes the opposite. I want you to be able to decide and not have the council step in."

Her fingers clenched on her book. She would never agree to the council deciding who her boyfriend should be, let alone who she should marry.

She wanted to tell him to leave, but that would require talking to him. She pulled her book back up, her eyes skimming over words she would need to reread, hoping that he would get the hint. Lir continued as if he didn't notice her trying to ignore him.