Chapter 17: A New Life

The truck slowed down and bumped over something then picked up speed again. They both let out a breath. Would it be better to stop and be let out by whoever grabbed them or stay in the truck forever?

They stopped. Kara squeezed Julie tight.

A man's voice carried through the back of the truck. "They should still be asleep. There is no way that amount of tranquilizer wouldn't put them out for days. I don't know why we had to use such a high dose."

Another man snorted. "You're new. These girls aren't human, man. They will wake soon. The stuff wears off of them quicker."

"What? Not human?" The other laughed.

"You'll see, newb."

"What are they talking about? Not human? Are they crazy?" Kara whispered, starting to shake.

"I don't know." Julie's stomach twisted in knots. It had to be the black–suited men. Fey wouldn't talk about humans. They didn't care.

"Are they going to open the doors? Should we try to run for it?" Kara whispered.

"I don't know. I—"

The doors banged open. A large hand pulled them wider. Bright artificial light blinded Julie. A moment later a man in a black uniform with an official–looking circle on his arm waved his hand at them and then looked over at his partner.

Julie squinted at the emblem. It was gold with a picture of some kind of bird with spread wings. Letters surrounded the circle. She squinted to make them out.

A...R...S...E. She sputtered.

Seriously. ARSE?

She looked closer. Agency for Research of Supernatural Elements.

"See? They're already up. Not human," one of the men said, gesturing toward them as if they were exhibits. Julie narrowed her eyes on him, memorizing his face. He looked average, with short, dirty blond hair and hazel eyes.

She would zap him first.

"But we tranq'd them with so much," the other man answered, his mouth hanging open. He looked slimy with his slick, black hair.

"I know, right? But one of the scientists said they metabolize it faster or something," the first man answered with a shrug.

Julie's mouth went dry as she processed the word 'scientist.' Were they going to be experimented on? Was this what Luke and Ike rescued people from? How long would it be before someone came for them if she couldn't get them out of here—weeks, months, years? Would she and Kara die here?

"Shit." The slimy–looking one gazed at them, his eyes lingering in places that made Julie and Kara draw closer together.

She should zap the pervert first.

Julie looked away as his eyes went to her face. "They look so human. Are you sure?"

"Don't worry. We didn't kidnap two innocent girls off the beach." The other snorted.

"Are they dangerous?"

Julie went cold as he kept staring at Kara, who shivered beside her, her big, green eyes wide and vacant.

"Nah, besides the fast healing thing, they're kittens. Watch." The blond man smirked. "Here kitty, kitty. Come on out. We have a nice place set up for you for dinner and sleeping."

His partner snorted. Julie drew Kara back against her. No way did she want to go toward these men.

"Come on out girls, or we will have to climb in there, and that will piss us off." His smile turned to a frown as they both sat still. "Look, you're not wearing much. If you struggle, everything might pop off. I can guarantee that you won't like the attention you get then as we walk you through the facility." He quirked up a brow.