Chapter 10: Unexpected Audience

"Dad wanted me to warn you that you will have some company today at the gym with Muriel." Jamie said as he mowed through a second bowl of cereal the next morning. Now that they were friends again, she didn't get much peace. He seemed to be making up for lost time.

"What?" She pushed her fruit around the plate and looked over at his sugary rainbow of goodness. He grinned at her and took a bite slowly, moaning in pleasure. She stuck her tongue out at him. Creep. He knew she loved that cereal.

"Just get your own bowl. Why do you care? Your body heals quickly. I doubt a bowl or two is going to make a big difference with your dancing. Geez, it's not like you're human or anything."

"You think so?" Could she eat as much sugar as she wanted? Did she dare try? Her mouth watered. It sounded too good to be true.

She wasn't going to tempt fate. She shook her head and took a bite of grapefruit. Dancing was too important, and she didn't want a sugar crash right in the middle of practice today. Especially not today. "What were you saying about today and Lir?"

"You mean Dad." Jamie corrected her and gave her that enough–already look . She raised an eyebrow at him, as if to say, bite me. He shook his head and stirred his cereal. "Yeah, he's letting Rory, Luke, and all the rest of them come."

"What? Why?" Julie didn't mind an audience, but she was looking forward to a relaxing time. She put her fork down, not wanting to eat anything now. She narrowed her eyes. "What do you mean he's letting them come?"

"He has to let them see you some, and this was a way to do it, I guess." Jamie brushed a hand through his hair. "I don't know."

"Great. The one thing I was looking forward to is all messed up." She picked up her fork and speared a piece of pineapple. "Why do they have to see me?"

"Tell everyone you don't feel well or something and skip it."

Should she say that? Or would they find some other way to see her. At least this way there was an audience. She wouldn't be alone with them. Once she got into her dancing mode, she wouldn't even remember they were there.

"No, they'll find some other way to butt into my life. I don't want to miss dancing because of them."

"I feel sorry for them." He snorted. "You're not going to give them a chance, are you? You might want to reconsider Luke. He's a pretty good guy."

Julie picked up a piece of orange, threw it at him, and watched in satisfaction as the squishy fruit splatted on his forehead. "Stop it already."

"What the hell?" Jamie wiped off the orange.

"I said stop it. I know you're hanging out with him, but that doesn't have anything to do with me." She crossed her arms. He could stop trying to set her up. Not only was it creepy, it was not his business.

"Fine. I'll stop." He looked down at his bowl of cereal. "I'm just saying he's not all stuck on himself, like Rory."

She picked up another piece of orange. He threw his hands up. "Fine. Stopping. No more orange."

"If you like him so much, you date him." Julie plopped the orange into her mouth.

"Don't be silly. Just saying that your brother approves. No bad vibes off him—you know what I mean."

"You scanned him?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

"Yeah, but he said it was okay. He wanted me to see what his motives were and get it all out of the way up front so we could be friends. He's a good guy." Jamie shrugged.