Childhood

(Zendaya as a child).

My mother works upon my hair as my legs kick against the wooden bed, which seems to squeak due to old age. I look around my eyes take in the clutter, which I call my home. My eyes first rest upon the mould, which evades the wall ever so little each day. I take in the old floorboards, which almost seems to peel of and dance within the light breeze.

My eyes then roam over the open fire place. Fire wood, which I gather everyday, scatter against the floor. To then be set alight for warmth and a place to cook the raw meat. Then to the calendar, which marked a day of two emotions for some. Relief for those spared another year, and grief for those who must give up a love one to a battle that one cannot overpower.

Those who bore children the age of 12 to 18 must enter their child in a live lottery. Held every year. Then the draws placed at random, 1 for a male and 1 for a female. These are known as tributes, and these tributes are candidates of the peace treaty. Otherwise known for some, entertainment for those who live in the city of power. Known as the Capitol. You live there your safe. You live in district 11 like me or another district, your chickens being sent to the slaughter house. I'm 11 one year of being safe then I am officially eligible for the Hunger Games. Officially Eligible to die.

Most say I'm quite smart for my age, I disagree. I believe i'm able to recognise fantasy from reality, before most of my age. Age is just a number.

"Mommy this is my last year, so can I please stay home". I ask tears practically forming in my bright hazel eyes. My mother looked at me with sadness hinted in her dark brown eyes.

"Baby you know the answer to that". She whispered, before carrying on with my coarse hair. I let out a huge sigh, as the tear which had welled up fell.

"I know, but I don't want to see anyone crying. It hurts my heart.". I say honestly, holding my hand to my heart. My mom smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes. She then begins a melodic tune, which seems to always lift my spirits.

(Taylor swift safe and sound)

"Just close your eyes,
The sun is going down,
You'll be alright,
No one can hurt you now,
Come morning light,
you and I'll be safe and sound.". Her hand caresses my light brown cheek, I fold into her touch and allow her singing to wipe away the taint of sorrow lingering in my heart.

"Mommy, Can I pray for those who enter the battlefield?". I inquire looking at her deeply as if begging with my eyes.

"Of course, pray for safety. A quick and painless death of those who should die. The winner...the winner a life without guilt and sorrow.". She spoke looking down at her bare feet. Cracked and dry, and the nails overgrown due to lack of care. As she spent most of her money on my health and need.

"I will mommy, safety, quick and painless death for those who should die, the winner to have a life without guilt or sorrow.". As my voice dripped with sorrow and pain, remembering my mothers sorrow.

Her lover, my father was the winner of the 69th hunger games, but shortly after that he took his life due the guilt and trauma the lives he took replayed in his head. He died at 17. Not in the games, but by it.

This is my dystopia,

this is my horror,

This is my story.....