:10:

-Mark-

Sunday was a bland day for me. Jack wouldn't answer anything of mine. No messages, calls, anything. I really had nothing else to do. I finished any homework I had left, and sat on my computer all day.

It was around 10 at night and I was playing Slither.io out of boredom. My constant death was starting to annoy me. My phone went off in the middle of a run. I glanced at it mid game today who it was. When saw the name I let go of the controls and grabbed the phone, completely forgetting the game.

"Jack!"

"Heeeeeey maark." Now, we haven't talked much on the phone mostly texting, but this did not sound normal.

"You okay Jack?" I held the phone close, concern filling my voice.

"Oooh yeah I'm great." His words kind of slurred together and his accent came out thickly

"Jack, are you... Drunk?"

"Probably. But I wanted to talk to ya."

"Why Jack?"

"Because I like you! You make me happy Maark." That wasn't exactly what I meant, but that answer hit me. I felt a blush creep up.

"What?"

"Yah. You make me wanna smile." He stopped talking. The line went silent. "But I can't."

"Why not?" If I know why, maybe I could help.

"No. I can't." There was clinking and a thud on the other end of the phone.

"Jack?" He sighed and didn't speak anymore. "Where's your mom?"

"She's not here. Best night of my life!" He yelled out into the presumably empty apartment.

"Jack. What apartment are you in?" I stood up and looked for my shoes. "Im coming over."

"My apartment." He slurred with a snort.

"Ha ha. What's the number?" I demanded. I pulled on a sweatshirt and left my room.

"457 ground floor." He sounded beaten.

"I'll be there in ten. Don't do anything stupid." He made an annoyed noise and there was more clinking. "No more drinks!" I yelled as I walked out the door.

"Eeeeh I don't gotta listen to you." He hung up the call. My heart started racing. I started running down the street. It was like my legs were trying to keep up with my heartbeat.

I got to the apartment building and ran through the door, mentally apologizing for being loud. I quickly went down the small steps and looked for 457. I knocked on the door, hoping for an answer. There wasn't one, and I couldn't hear any movement coming from inside.

I tried the doorknob and thankfully, It was open. I walked into the apartment and looked around. There was two bottles on the counter and the fridge was open a crack. I closed it and looked at the rest of the room.

"Jack?" I called out for him. I heard movement down the hall. I followed the noise to find Jack's room. He sat at a desk, three empty bottles  in front of him. "Jack..."

I moved closer to him and saw a half empty bottle in his hand. I sighed and took the bottle from him.

"Whatre you doin'?" Jack slurred at me.

"Come on," I pulled at his arms, trying to get him off the chair. I led him to his bed, "lay down on your side, Jack." He grunted and rolled over. I nodded and left the room for some water.

After looking through almost every cupboard, I got a cup of water and gave it to him. After drinking, he laid back.

"Jack... Why did you do this?"

"I wanted to." Jack was staring at the ceiling "My head hurts." I chuckled a bit.

"That's your fault." He groaned and I smiled down at the ground.

"I like you Mark." He said still looking at the ceiling. I looked up at him. "But I can't like you Mark." Okay I'm confused again.

"Why?" He just shook his head.

"It's wrong. I'm wrong." I'm genuinely lost now. What is he talking about?

"What?"

Jack turned over and looked at me. He looked like he was going to say something important but he stopped and studied my face. God damn alcohol keeping Jack from finishing a thought.

"You're really pretty Mark." I felt a blush creep up onto my face. Jack smiled and giggled.

Smiled.

Jack smiled. And giggled. Oh my god I've never heard a sweeter sound. And it was caused my alcohol. Does that count? I guess it shouldn't.

Jack had rolled over onto his back again. He looked up at the ceiling again.  He sighed. "I really like you Mark" He said like he spent days memorizing those words.

"You've said that a lot tonight."

"Yah, but I mean it. I'd be with ya if I could. But I can't. And even if I could, I still can't." My eyes went wide and mouth fell open. Did. Did Jack just say he wanted to date me?!

"W-why not?" I don't know why this was the question I had. I probably shouldn't be here. I felt like I was taking advantage of  Jack to learn what he doesn't want to know.

"That's why I can't tell you Mark." He yawned mid sentence. "I'd die if you knew I was Pan."  His eyes closed. Pan? Pansexual?

I waited for Jacks breathing to steady before tuning him on his side in case he were to throw up. I gathered the bottles and brought them to the kitchen. I filled up his cup again with water and placed it on his bedside table.

I looked back at him as he slept. He looked peaceful, a smile still laid on his lips. I don't know what caused me to do it, but I found myself leaning down to kiss his forehead. I quietly left the room and checked the time. It was almost 1AM. Had I really been here that long?

I sighed and started my way home. The majority of the walk was me trying to make sense of what Jack said. Why did he keep saying he liked me? Does he really want to date me? Is it true that he's Pansexual? And why do I feel happy to know this?

When I got to the house, I saw my dad's car and the living room light on. Shiiiit. I walked through the door reading for a lecture.

"And where were you?"

This was gonna be a long night.