six

You

I spent the past few days binge-watching TV shows on Netflix and scrolling through social media. This past week has been sort of a lazy week, and it's nice to have some time to myself.

I glanced out the window and noticed the sky was getting darker by the hour, from a pinkish glow to a deep blue and then finally a pitch black. I loved the view from my bedroom window. It reminds me of the time I went to Colorado, when almost every evening the sky would reveal a brilliant array of colors, spreading out in different directions and coloring the clouds. London wasn't as great, but there was something exhilarating about moving to a new place.

At times, I feel like it was a mistake to come here in the first place. Leaving my family and friends back home hurt. But I left for a reason. I can't go back.

Because of the incident.

It still haunts me.

It's all my fault.

I shook the thoughts out and grabbed my keys and sweater and decided to go out for a bit. A walk would make me feel better. Anything to get my mind off of it.

I did a few laps around my neighborhood to calm down a little. This isn't working. I started to contemplate other ways to distract myself.

And then a large, heavy material of some sort struck my head. Pain coursed through skull, my knees gave up and I collapsed on the sidewalk, gripping my head.

. . .

My heavy eyelids began to lift. I brought my hand up to the back of my head and pulled it in front of me. Blood dripped down my arm and on the ground. My vision was blurred and slightly hazy. I gathered enough strength to get myself off the sidewalk, using the fence behind me as support. The sun was out, and I could see blurry figures moving. I stumbled up to one and asked where I am, but they simply ignored me and continued walking. Confused, I went up to another figure, which looked like a young woman with her three kids.

"Excuse me, but do you know what place this is?" My voice and words sounded strange to me. But just like the last person, she ignored me and walked away, a little more hurriedly this time.

What the hell is going on?

Tears of frustration ran down my cheeks. I looked around the area, having no clue where I was. It was like I was in a different country.

That's when I bolted up from my bed, sweating and trying to catch my breath. It was just a dream, I concluded, sighing in relief.

I've had a history of vivid dreams. They've started when I was four. I've always hated them. Hated how real the dream would feel, how I'd wake up scared, how I wouldn't be able to tell if I was still dreaming or if I was actually awake. These dreams would get so intense sometimes that I would have a panic attack later on in the day if something unexpected happens. It hasn't happened in a few years, I thought I was recovering.

An episode of Stranger Things was paused on the TV, a screen asking if I was still watching. I grabbed the remote and clicked "no".

After taking a few deep breaths, I repeated the same phrase.

It was just a dream.

It was just a dream.

A/N: Schedule's being thrown off but I'll do my best to steer it back on track from now on. Let me know if this chapter is confusing.