twelve

A/N: *awkwardly clears throat*

heyyy I'm backkk

thIS BOOK HAS 1k READS THANK YOU SO MUCH

THIS BOOK ISN'T EVEN THAT GOOD WHAT

Dan

This year, Phil has decided to host a Thanksgiving feast. He said he's wanted to throw a party instead of constantly attending them.

I didn't think he was actually going through with it until I saw him hunched over the kitchen table this morning, scrawling in a notebook with one hand and holding his phone with the other.

"Good morning Phil," I greeted. He glanced at me for a second, and then returned his attention to the notebook.

"Hey Dan," he yawned.

"What are you doing?" I inquired. I pulled the carton of milk out from the fridge and began pouring some in a bowl.

"Calling people to see if they can come. And I'm asking them to bring a dish to share, sort of like a potluck, because we definitely can't cook a whole meal in," he cut himself off to peer at the clock, "less than 8 hours."

I nodded. Phil dialed a number and pressed the phone against his ear, waiting for a response.

"Hey Louise. Do you think you can bring a dish for tonight? Yeah, yeah that's great. Thank you." He hung up and checked off Louise's name.

"What's Louise bringing?" I dumped Lucky Charms in my bowl and proceeded to join Phil at the table.

"Turkey," Phil replied.

"Is Y/N coming?" I quickly asked. Phil looked up and let out a light laugh.

"Yes, yes she is," he answered. He then dialed another number, tapping his pen on the notebook while he waited.

I scarfed down my breakfast and placed the bowl in the dish, reminding myself to wash it later. As Phil began speaking to Marcus, I decided to text Y/N.

To double check, of course.

11:32 a.m
To Y/N: you're coming over tonight, right?

She replied a few minutes later.

11:36 a.m
To Dan: I'm trying to sleep go away

11:37 a.m
To Dan: but yes I am coming
To Y/N: great, see you then.

I heard the loud crash of metal hitting a tile floor and Phil cursing.

"Dan, can you help me make the cranberry sauce?" Phil called from the kitchen.

I groaned in response but trudged over anyways.

. . .

6:47 p.m

Guests had starting filing in a few minutes ago. Phil made me greet everyone while he was setting the table. Y/N hadn't shown up yet.

"Hey Dan," Alfie greeted as he walked by, his arm linked with Zoe's. She smiled and waved.

7:02 p.m

Still more guests arriving, even though the party started half an hour ago. I found myself checking my watch a hundred times a minute, waiting for one specific person.

7:35 p.m

I was starting to doubt that she would arrive until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I instinctively grabbed it and turned around to face Y/N. I felt my lips part at the sight of her. There she stood, in a shimmering black body con dress that matched my suit. I released my hand from hers. It took me a minute to realize that we were the only people wearing black, and I was staring for a bit too long.

"Stop eye-raping me," she giggled.

"I'm sorry, you just look nice, like really nice. You look fantastic," I rambled. She laughed, and opened her mouth to speak when she was interrupted by Phil.

"Y/N! I'm so glad you could arrive," he exclaimed, enveloping her in a tight hug. "You look great," he said.

"Aw, how sweet," she joked. I cleared my throat and excused myself to get a drink.

At the table, I poured myself a glass of red wine and took a sip. Y/N was talking to Joe now, his arm slung casually around her shoulder. He whispered in her ear, causing the two to burst out in laughter. I wanted to be the cause of her happiness.

So why was I feeling otherwise?

Jealousy burned at my chest. I tried my best to ignore it and enjoy myself.

I cautiously stepped toward the pair. Including myself in the chat would be a lot better than to watch from a distance.

"Hey guys," I said. They turned around and grinned. Nice, uh, dress, Y/N," I blurted.

"You've already complimented me, Dan." The two laughed. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Oh, yeah. Right." I immediately felt stupid, and I began scolding myself for trying to start a conversation.

I wanted this party to be over.

. . .

"Goodbye, thank you for coming." I bid farewell to the last guest and shut the door. Phil was vacuuming the lounge floor. I asked if he needed any help.

"No, I'm fine. You should get some rest; you looked pretty tired tonight," he remarked. I nodded and headed over to my room. My head throbbed. I shut the door, shrugged off my jacket and pants, and went to bed in nothing but my boxers.

I'm fine, I thought to myself.

I'm okay.

A/N: I'm soRRY FOR THE SHITTY CHAPTER IT GETS BETTER I PROMISE DON'T LEAVE ME