5 {Kelley} 5

Street lights illuminated the road. I couldn't believe I was actually in a car alone with Arry. The reminder made my heart beat faster. I stole a look at her. "You okay Heath?" I asked. Her face was squished against the cool glass. Her one arm wrapped her knees and the other leaned against the car door. Her fingers rapped against the window rhythmically.

I remembered when I first met her. She had been introduced to me as Tobin's little sister when she was in sixth grade. We had gone to a gig she had gotten at BFP. I remember being mesmerized by her voice as she sang to Julie's keyboard and Morgan's drums. Crystal had agreed to play guitar that night but nowadays, Arry does. That's the night all of my troubles started.

"Dunnah-nah dunnah-nah dunnah-nah nah. Baduh-bum-bum-bum-bum," she sang, her head bobbing up and down to her own music. "I love the Nutcracker. Have you ever seen it? I have."

"Arry," I chuckled.

She looked at me sternly. "I'm not joking."

I shook my head and said, "You're humming 'Jingle Bell Rock'." I had this goofy smile spread across my lips.

We were silent again. The steady clicking of the blinker was the only noise between us. We didn't spend much time together considering I was a junior and she was a sophomore. Her sister and I were friends, but we didn't hang out much. Despite the minimal time we've spent, I knew a lot about her. She pressed her finger into my cheek. I flinched. "Stop it," She ordered, her eyebrows furrowed together. "I have to . . ." She trailed off and went to poke me again.

I ducked away. "You are so wasted," I said.

Her hands slammed against the dashboard. The car swerved. I screamed and she remained silent with a scowl on her face. "What is-What the hell?" I choked out. "I could've killed you!" I gripped the wheel to straighten the car. My brain was still rattling in my head. She could've died, and it would've been my fault.

I glanced at me her, but I knew that I had to keep my eyes on the road. "She's not a waste," She muttered, holding clumps of hair in her fists. She stomped on the floor of the car. "She's not. I am. I'm the waste. She's not!"

I pulled over and cut off the engine. Her breathing picked up. She slammed her fist against the window. "Don't hurt me. I'll shut up. Don't hurt her. She's not a waste. I promise. Please." Her eyes were shut. I wanted her to open them. I didn't know what to do. I had never seen her like this. She was so chill, just like her sister. Unless she was provoked.

"Arry." I said. "What's wrong? Open your eyes."

I held her hand in mine. Our fingers were interlaced and it felt warm. I could see her breathing slow. She opened her eyes and blinked. The car lights illuminated my face and hair. A soft glow outlined my jaw and strong arms. "Arry, concentrate on my voice." I said trying to make eye contact. I could've sworn she eyed my lips. Stop it. It was so obvious she didn't have an interest in me. She was always bragging about me and Hope. Hope.

Oh yeah.

I had a girlfriend.

She removed her hands. I was hoping it would cut off all traces of a connection, but I missed her touch. Was I drunk? I had successfully buried my feelings for her. Why were they surfacing again? Stronger? I loved Hope. I had a girlfriend.

Despite being unavailable, I couldn't help but feel hurt when she turned to stare straight ahead. "Sorry," she murmured softly looking at the floor.

I reached out to touch her arm, but she shifted away. I said so quietly she barely heard her, "Don't be. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I didn't move away. "Please, just-just, I wanna go home."

I complied begrudgingly and turned back onto the road. She didn't speak anymore. I turned onto her street to see police cars lined up. The road in front of her apartment building was closed off. I pulled over. I glanced at the obviously drunk and obviously underage girl in the passenger seat. "Hey," I said patting her cheek. "Hey, look. I'm gonna go see what's going on, 'Kay?"