6 {Carli} 6

My feet pounded against the sidewalk. I felt free from the Earth. I was no longer running the streets of our small town. The cops driving around weren't searching for my teammate. Kelley wasn't still parked behind me. I was in another place. A better place where people didn't have to run from the problems.

When I reached the end of my route, I crash landed on Earth. Arry was missing. I put my hands on my head. Stories were always told about people who went missing. Some were found and some weren't. I had never imagined I'd be witnessing one.

Especially not Arry. She was a good kid. So was her sister Tobin. So many people misunderstood their situation. They judged them before they could actually know them.

I entered BFP, the Brian's Family Pizzeria, and walked up to the counter. Morgan was sitting at the register. "Hey Morgan," I said.

She looked up at me. She seemed depressed. She said, "The taco pizza is a dollar a slice to raise awareness about Arry's disappearance." Oh. Morgan and Arry were really close from the minute they met. At one point, Morgan was closer to Arry than to her own sister. Sometimes, it still felt that way. Lauren and Morgan were making a great effort to repair the damage between them.

"That's a sweet gesture Moe. Taco was her favorite," I said genuinely. I gave her a small smile knowing nothing would cheer her up until her best friend was home.

"Is," she stressed with blank eyes. Her fingers tapped against the side of the register. "It is her favorite." I rubbed the back of my neck. Before I could apologize she sighed, "I didn't think it would do much, but Kling said it was better than nothing."

I nodded in agreement. "Kling was right."

"Aren't I always?" Kling emerged from the swinging kitchen door. She had her usual mischievous grin, but it didn't have it's usual spark. She stood beside her girlfriend. She took the opportunity to drape her arm around her neck because it was awkward while they were standing.

I couldn't help the smile that creeped onto my face as Morgan melted into the defender's side. My thoughts traveled to Tobin. "Do you know how Tobin's doing?" I asked.

Morgan squeezed her eyes shut and dropped her head into her hands. "Lauren called last night and said they moved her to Juvy. They made Lauren and Amy go home. They're gonna visit her today," she croaked.

I felt the cool fall air sweep into the room with loud chatter. I turned. Morgan's frustrated voice said, "You've got to be kidding me."

Jaelene Hinkle walked up to the counter. As captain I had the ability to kick her off. I was tempted to so many times, but I knew that she would come back with her parents and make a ruckus about the Heaths. I also knew I had no valid reason unless I kicked Arry off too.

Seeing how worked up her girlfriend was getting, Kling glared at the group of girls. "Get out," she demanded. She used her other arm to point to the door.

Hinkle rolled her eyes. "You can't not serve me. That's against the law."

I saw Morgan tense. "Where's Lauren when you need her?" She muttered.

The girls looked at the menu ignoring Morgan's intense glare. "Taco? Who the hell likes that? That's disgusting," one of the girls giggled. The rest of them nodded and laughed in agreement.

Kling looked ready to show off what being a black belt meant. Hinkle looked directly at Morgan. "I heard that animal control finally got those beasts in cages," she said in a fake innocent look. We all knew who she was talking about.

Before the situation took a bad turn, I said, "Hinkle, I'd watch yourself. You've already been suspended."

She whipped her head to look at me. "You may be captain on the field but off? You're no better than a sewer rat," she snarled getting in my face. I stared at her with an unwavering look. She smirked. "A sewer rat that is so helplessly in love with—"