13 {Kelley} 13

Arry was here. Two lockers down, she sat on the bench already dressed for practice. She looked tense and overwhelmed. The only thing keeping her sane was Mallory, sitting close beside her. I wanted to be that person. But I didn't just want to sit next to her.

Woah. Hold up. I had a girlfriend. Cut. It. Out.

Lauren and Amy walked down the row. They had a short conversation with Mal before they led Arry out. Mallory hung back, having to tie her cleats.

I watched as the youngest Heath disappeared through the door. The eighth grader must've noticed me staring because she said, "Earth to O'Hara."

I blinked and grabbed her wrist. She stopped waving her hands in my face. "I'm good, Mal-Pal," I said.

She cocked her head to the side. "Did you not know Arry was back?"

I shook my head.

Her eyes widened. "She's been back since the night at the hospital."

"Hope was at the hospital. Wasn't she?" I could feel a bit of anger build in my gut.

She nodded. She was definitely caught off guard by my rigid attitude. I was rarely angry. I was the jokester on the team. I tried to keep things light in midst of the competitive atmosphere.

I patted her shoulder. "Let's get out there, yeah?"

She hesitated but walked out the door. I followed behind her. Hope was sitting off to the side, separated from the group. Carli sat beside her. It wasn't anything against the others. The two of them preferred quiet to focus. The other girls liked to fool around to shake off nerves.

I made a beeline for Hope. "We need to talk," I snapped. I didn't even wait for her to respond.

She met me at the corner flag. "What's wrong?"

"Don't you think I had a right to know!"

She blinked in surprise. "W-what?"

"Arry comes back, and I find out in the locker room!"

She tensed up. In an aggressive tone, she said, "A lot of people found out in the locker room."

"I'm your girlfriend, Hope Solo, in case you forgot!"

She crossed her arms. "So?"

"So," I growled. "You knew, and you didn't tell your girlfriend!"

She snapped, "It wasn't my place!"

"Don't pull that shit with me." I pointed a finger at her chest. "You should've told me."

"Why are you so hung up on it? I didn't tell you. It's done. Give it a rest."

I scoffed, "What is wrong with you? You're not even sorry."

"I don't have to be. I did nothing wrong! I don't understand why you're so mad."

I fought the urge to shove her. "You're full of it. You know that?"

Hope glared at me. "I bet if it was anyone else, you wouldn't have said a word."