7 {Tobin} 7

88...89...90...

My core burned. I grit my teeth and kept my feet on the concrete floor.

91...92...93

"Heath," a stern voice said. I looked up to see Mike, one of the guards that patrolled the cells.

I wiped my face with the white t-shirt I had been issued upon arrival. I grunted in response. "Get against the wall," he said.

I rolled my eyes. It wasn't like I was gonna randomly lash out. It was protocol so I complied. I put my hands against the concrete and my feet shoulder width apart. The cell door slid open and he walked in. He grabbed my wrists and held them behind me. "Where am I going?" I asked. He ignored me and used his other hand to grip my shoulder. He lead me out of my cell.

I stared straight ahead. I had been here a week and was already tired of it. Nobody was giving me the answers I wanted. Most importantly, no one would give me any information on my sister. I just hoped they hadn't forced her to go back to our parents. The thought sent anger through my veins.

I was led through the corridors and into a room. When I got there, someone was already seated in the other chair. "Alex?" My eyes widened. I had put her on my list, but I had never expected her to come.

I ran my fingers through my hair. We were left alone on the room. I knew they were watching from the door. They had to. There were some dangerous people in here. I subconsciously touched my side.

Alex swallowed. "A-are you okay?"

Alex said some hurtful things that night, but so did I. Honestly, I didn't even know why I had said Alex Morgan when they asked for names. I hurt her too. Why did she come to see me? "Tobin." Her voice was soft. "Are you alright?"

I nodded slowly, still staring into her blue eyes. Blue like the sky outside. I wanted to feel the sun on my skins. They still wouldn't let me out into the yard. "Why are you here?" I asked. I hoped my tone was curious and not accusing.

She gnawed on her bottom lip. I felt my arms grow weak. What the hell, Tobin Heath? You can't like her. "Carli told me I was on your list," she whispered softly. "I don't know why. I said some awful things that I know aren't true."

"So did I."

We sat in silence. "Why am I on your list?" She finally blurted. "Don't you hate me?"

"Hate you?" I blinked in surprise. "What-why-where did you get that idea?"

"I said—"

"I know what you said," I cut her off. "I said some things too. And yet you came to see me."

Silence again. Things were so awkward between us. Strained. "You and Arry are still friends?" I asked.

She nodded slowly. "Yeah, we were getting pretty close." Her eyes look at the table. She had a habit of gnawing her lip. It seems like she's been doing it a lot lately.

"Were?"

She gave me a sympathetic look. "They didn't tell you?" She whispered hoarsely.

My eyes widened. "What? What?" I stood up and leaned against the table. "What's happened to her? She's alright? She has to be." A single tear fell from her eye. I pulled my face back so I wasn't intimidating her. "Alex. What didn't they tell me?"

"Arry's missing," she breathed out.

I stared at her in shock. I threw my chair to the ground. It crashed. I sent it skidding across the room.

My sister was missing. My sister. Arry Heath. The girl who brought injured creatures into our home. The girl who helped match people because she gets hope seeing love in action. She used to think love was a fairytale.