11 {Alex} 11

I was on my way the minute Becky texted everyone to head to the hospital. My parents were at some kind of event. I asked Ben, our chauffeur, if he would drive me. He didn't even hesitate. Thank God for Ben.

A few minutes later Becky texted a short message: Nvm.

The chat exploded with texts. Everyone bombarded her with questions, but there was no answer. I didn't turn back. I was more than halfway there. The worse that could happen was Becky and everyone else left the hospital. A part of me felt like I had to go. I wasn't sure why Becky sent the first message, but it must've been important.

When I arrived, some of my teammates crowded the waiting room. I made a beeline for the two captains, the New Kids (minus Tobin), and Hope. "Hey, what's going on?" I asked.

The five looked surprised to see me. Mal leaned in from the other group. "You've missed a lot," she laughed.

Becky swatted her away and turned to me. "Are any of the others coming?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure. Everyone's confused."

"If we tell them what's up, we'll have to get a team therapist," Julie said, poking her head into the circle.

Hope gently pushed her away with a palm to her forehead.

Morgan shimmied in. "We have Amy."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "Bye, Moe."

With a pout, she left the circle. "Things have gotten really complicated," Becky sighed.

I tried to gauge the gravity of the situation from their faces. I asked, "Why are we here?"

The group exchanged looks.

Before anyone could say anything, the three younger kids popped in.

"Arry's here, alive, and stubborn as ever," Julie snorted.

Morgan nodded. "She refuses to get treated, and—"

"There's another Heath. Besides Tobin and Arry. A third one!" Mal eagerly filled in.

"Hey! I wanted to say that!"

Carli rolled her eyes. "If you're a freshman or younger, get your kiddish behind out of this conversation."

The three grumbled as they moved to the side. Before any of the others could speak, Arry and Tobin came from the double doors leading to the rest of the hospital.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes. Arry was here and alive.

There were no signs that Tobin had been wasted less than twenty-four hours ago. In fact, she looked renewed with her sister at her side. It made me queasy, knowing she was supposed to be in juvie.

And that Arry didn't know.

"Alex!" Arry cried out.

She ran and latched herself on me. I wrapped my arms around her neck. All thoughts of Juvie and alcohol fled.

I hadn't known Arry long. But over the time that I did, we grew close. It's funny how people can connect over short time spans. With her it was easy. She was so kind and considerate. It was hard to wrap my head around the idea that not everybody sees her that way.

I pulled away but kept my hands on her shoulders, needing a way to tether myself to the reality she was okay. "You're alive," I gasped out.

She nodded. "Yeah, I'm alive." The way she said alive was almost as if she didn't quite believe it. Like she didn't feel alive.